AI Sneak Attacks - irritating as hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agricola, if you would be so kind....

This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Sorry Kobi, but could you please wait about 18 hours. We are currently visiting friends and I have no access to either civ2 or a hexeditor before I get home.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

I ain't in a hurry. take your time.
        This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

still patiently waiting

Comment

Sorry about your long wait but I sent you the following e-mail plus the attached, fixed file on July 6th. Honest.

The attached game has been fixed so that the UK and US are allied to Japan, at peace with it and have contact (but no embassy) with it.

Now, if Japan attacks the US, it is immediately at war both with the UK and the Europeans.
            However, if Japan attacks the UK, the US remains allied to Japan and the Europeans remain at peace with Japan.
            If Japan attacks the Europeans, neither the UK nor the US shows any reaction.
            Attached Files

Comment

I received the e-mail. My problem.

I only check that account once a week...that's my problem.

Comment

Comment

I'm using this in First Strike II, where the NATO and WARPAC can't attack the non-aligned (barbarians), but the barbarians (event created units) can attack the humans. God bless hex editing! Dario made a brilliant tool where you can easily change such diplomatic settings.
                  Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Where can you download it?
                    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

kobayashi should be commended for his research into this area - it's posts like this which are, to me, far more worthwhile than a zillion new sprites made by someone; for they teach the scenario designer the limits and possibilities of the scenario design concept, which in my humble opinion has rarley been taken into consideration with most scenarios.

The lazy route of course is to make a scenario "multiplayer", but deep down the scenario designer knows that when he designates his scenario for multiplayer purposes he is in fact selling himself out on account of a lack of fundamental knowledge with regards to the mechanics of the Civ2 scenario.
                      "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
                      -Kaiser Willhem II

Comment

I disagree, multi player game play mechanics don't lack for depth. The fact that they are usually different for single player mechanics is no evidence for their absence... And I don't know. I first played civilization just after the release of FW, and remembering some of the early home-made scenarios draws the realization of just how innovative the scenario design crowd is. I can't think of any other single computer game that had evolved as much over the years...
                        Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
                        Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

Well there are two aspects to the multi-player.

If all the players are meant to be human-only - then its a pushover design-wise

If the AI can do a decent job as any one of the human slots - that's even harder than a single player scenario to make. I think my best example of this is Zweiter Weltkrieg but even so it was plagued by the same problems as here. You need 10x more play-testing than normal just to check out and forestall all the stupid things the AI is likely to do and you have to play each race while doing that.
                          Last edited by kobayashi; July 19, 2007, 05:13.

Comment

@Willhelm II

I think it unfair to say that people who make multi-player scenarios are taking the lazy option. Until recently I had never played a PBEM. Now I am into it I can see the bonus of having human interaction and intelligent opposition.
                            I have designed one scenario (which has a few small bugs) and have several other multi-player ones in mind. The good thing about designing a PBEM scenario is that it is quicker as you do not need to compensate for the dumb AI.
                            Multi-player and single-player scenarios are just different!

Oh, and I agree that Kobi and others have pushed back the boundaries and helped make CivII such a long lasting phenomenon. I would not discount the pixel pushers. If it was not for Fairline and others I would have lost interest in designing and playing CivII years ago. All these elements go into making CivII great!
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                            SL INFORMATION THREAD
                            CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

anyway..back to topic.

I have a new theory. Could it be that banning negotiations increases the chance of sneak attacks. When you try to contact the AI you get the 'I wouldn't give you the time of day' message so it stands to reason the AI gets the same when they try to contact you - like when their units bump into yours. So they get pissed.

And another thing...Does anyone know if having an embassy will reduce the chance of sneak attacks? Nothing in the game mechanics I've seen so far supports this idea but in the real world it would seem to be logical.

Comment

By Jove I think I've got it

I said that I would do it, and indeed I did. You thought that I would rue it; You doubted I'd do it. But now you must admit it that succeed I did. I should get a medal....

Just prior to the Indochina incident in 1940, I'll get the player to save his game as a scenario and then start playing as a new scenario. AI doesn't attack for another two three years.

Jawohl! Jawohl! Jawohl!

Comment

Working...
                                X