Diplomacy runs amok in Age of War scen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomacy runs amok in Age of War scen

This all started with the following exchange a couple of months ago.

Exile:
    Side question; Aggy, have you run roughshod over any of mine? I am a super-aggressive trader when I play the heavy trade scenarios. I can't imagine someone trading more aggessively than I do. How do mine stand up for you?

Agricola:
    Sorry, I haven't had the opportunity to try them. I have a very large folder of downloaded scens, but the designers at Poly have been keeping me too busy to play them. It takes me 2-3 weeks to playtest a scen but I'll give one a go ASAP.
    I've been playing Age of War as Germany, It is a fun and interesting scen and I hope Exile does take the time to upgrade it.

My basic approach has been that Germany will make no aggressive moves until has used trade to finish its tech tree as quickly as possible.

Germany starts the scen in May 1900 with 50 out of a possible 91 techs and a research rate of 1 tech/11 turns.
    By July 1903 [turn 19], it has become a democracy [from a tech trade with the Brits] and the tech rate has improved to a tech/3turns.
    At present [November 1906, turn 39] it has acquired 70 techs. The posted tech rate is still 1 tech/3 turns whereas, with freight deliveries to London [Germany is at peace with the Brits and everyone else] the actual rate is around 1 tech/1.5 turns or 4 per year.

A projection suggests that by 1912 Germany will have a Fascist government, will be armed with WWII weapons and ready to take on a world that is just starting to build biplanes. Consequently, I don't see much point in playing past where the game is at present.

What has been highly unusual about the scen is that I'm seeing strange sequences in diplomatic exchanges.

A couple of sneak attacks by Italy and declarations of war by Britain and Russia have ended diplomatically with Germany collecting large indemnities from all AI civs. The usual sequences have been:

1. After they sneak attacked and lost some cities, the Italians offered a cease fire.
    2. Germany accepted but then called the terms unacceptable.
    3. The Italians then offered 1400 gold for a peace treaty.
    4. Germany signed.

Another variant has been:

1. Germany and Brits were at peace.
    2. Requested that Brits remove units from German territory.
    3. Brits asked if Germany wants to sign peace treaty.
    4. Germany refused.
    5. Senate passed resolution to continue "peacekeeping" ?????
    6. Brits offered 2100 gold if Germany signs peace treaty.
    7. In accordance with its Good Neighbour policy, Germany signed . . . very happily.

However, the sequence shown by the screen shots at the end of this post, where Germany never even had a chance to make a request, is the ultimate example of diplomacy gone nuts.

This started when a Brit Artillery unit moved next to a German city and Germany opened the Foreign Minister window to ask that it be removed. The sequence of popups shows what happened as soon as it contacted the Brits.

PROBABLE EXPLANATION:
    Germany built the League of Nations wonder in Berlin on turn 26. If Berlin is razed, thereby destroying the wonder, diplomacy returns to normal. Obviously there is a loophole in the way that CIV2.exe handles the LON wonder.
    Attached Files
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Is it simply not the democracy government?

When you want to continue or start a war, the senate may (in this case it did not) overule you unless the total war flag is on. Then the british reply to your 'get lost' was peace for money. Seems to be the normal diplomacy to me and perhaps not related to the united nations wonder (which I believe forces the enemy to accept peace when you offer it?).
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

No, I don't think that it is normal that, if civs A and B are both democracies and at peace and the total war flag is off, when civ A contacts civ B it never even gets to request that units be removed from its territory before it is asked to sign a peace treaty and can extort money from civ B just for signing.

By the same token, if there are no Brit units on German turf and they are asked to remove units, the Brits immediately declare war.

The result of all this is that Germany has twice been able to start a war with Britain; sink as much of the Brit Home Fleet as it can; capture a Brit city on the continent; get offered a cease fire; accept and then refuse the terms; and get bribed to sign peace treaty.

The net effect is that Germany has played cat and mouse with Britain, emptying its treasury, sinking its ships and capturing its cities while still maintaining a spotless reputation. That is not the way things are supposed to work if one is playing as a goody-goody-two shoes democracy.

And there seems to be more to it than Germany having the United Nations wonder. It does not matter if France is a republic or is changed to a democracy, the diplomacy is quite normal when it is asked to remove one of its units, whether or not there actually is one in German territory.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Working...
      X