Giving CivII new life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving CivII new life

Anyone still playing Civ2 out there, I know i do. I was thinking about taking the basic Civ2 and redoing the tile sets and unit graphics, just to update them, also does anyone know if its possible to use jpeg instead of gif with Civ II original, i know in TOT you could, but what about the original?

I'm also thinking about redoing the sounds, just a way to bring CivII a little more modern.

Also some of the more advanced features i like of AC would it be possible to implement in CivII, like boarders?

"Classic" Civ2 can only use GIFs. Later versions could read both GIFs and BMPs. ToT couldn't use JPEGs either.

There are quite a few things that can be changed by way of the text files, especially the rules.txt, game.txt and events.txt. But changing more fundamental aspects of the game is not possible unless you know a good deal of programming and (dis)assembly, and have plenty of time on your hands.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

yes ive noticed a few issues already, i think instead of making Civ II act more like Alpha C, im going to instead mod Alpha C to be something like a Civ 2.5

Comment

The problem with upgrading the graphics seems to be that the game's native resolution is too low.

Is there a way to make the game recognize 1024 x 768 files?

I tried making a 1024 template but the game couldn't see it.

Comment

The game uses whatever mode Windows is using. You mean will it recognize unit and tile sizes other than 64xn. I don't think so.
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I mean that if I open a graphics file from Alpha Cantauri in a graphics editor it says 1024 x 768 at the top of the frame.

If I open Terrain 1 from civ 2 it says 640 x 480.

Civ 2 runs at a lower resolution. There are fewer pixels per frame. Therefore the graphics are rougher.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
              "Classic" Civ2 can only use GIFs. Later versions could read both GIFs and BMPs.
              My Civ 2 versions (classic and Gold editions) need PICTs
              ... they are Mac versions
              JCP
              Paris, FRANCE

Comment

There are many new terrains, units, cities and sounds that various people use. Drop over to the Scenario League forum to check some of them out. Another good source is Catfish's Cave, here: http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/index.htm
                Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                X