• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ideas for Roman wonders

I have two left that I'm having trouble identifying with:

Isaac Newton's College

Adam Smith's Trading Co.

What should I rename these two so they fit in an ancient antiquity scenario? They don't have to be Roman in origin. Also, I'm straying away from calling techs/imp/wonders after a dynasty or leader. I'm working on a slightly open ended game.

Isaac Newton's College: Library of Alexandria

Adam Smith's Trading Co.: Hmm. How about Silver Mines of Hispania? The mineral output of Iberia was so enormous that with its revenue the Romans no longer needed to tax its Italian landowners. This abundance in natural resources was also taken advantage of by the Carthaginians, obviously.

Comment

I agree with Typhoon:
      'Isaac Newton's College' is good as a 'Library of Alexandria'.

Adam Smith as the silver mines is an excellent idea also.

Alternatively, it could be the Senate in Rome, which would
      decide the taxation and finance policy of the empire...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Or put it in carthage, to represent their great trading empire.

But the silver and gold mines in spain are a very good idea as well.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I personally like Curt's idea of having Adam Smith represented by the Roman Senate, if only because the governing body crucial to empire's history should be reconized in the wonders somehow.

Thats my two cents anyhow. Exactly what scenario of yours will these ideas be used in Harry? Romamini?

Comment

Well I've already used the Library of Alexandria in place of the SETI wonder so that's out. I think I might rename Newton's College as "Praefectus Fabrum" after the head of of a supposed engineering corps during the late republic. The fabri were supposed to be composed of some top artisans and engineers.

I like the idea about the Roman Senate, but since the scenario is geared toward the Romans I think it might give the human player too much of an edge from the start.

The Silver mines are a good fit I think. It's geared toward economics and would offer Carthage an edge. I'm debating putting the wonder in Carthage or on one of the Carthaginian colonies in Spain. Carthage would be well defended spot but then again it wouldn't make sense if Rome controlled the peninsula and didn't benefit from the wonder. The only problem in putting it in Hispania is the propensity of those small cities to be wiped out from a prolonged war.

@Sarsstock: I've been tinkering with an expanded Roman scenario using the good bits from Romamini. I'm using Tech's Roman Civil War map, but I've reduced it by 50% and have edited it accordingly. It's got a better tilt and cuts out the vast open expanse of Northern Russia. Right now I'm perfecting my tech tree and improvements. The unit list is about complete.

Comment

You've done it again Harry, you little tease... what's the new scenario? Is it, FINALLY, a modern up to date Roman conquest of the ancient world scenario?
              "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
              -Kaiser Willhem II

Comment

In due time, in due time...

Comment

What about putting the college in Syracuse to represent Archimedes?
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

It'd be most inappropriate, taking into account he died after defending Syracuse against Romans...

I think Adam should go somewhere in the east... Egypt or Syria. These were the richest Roman provinces.
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                      It'd be most inappropriate, taking into account he died after defending Syracuse against Romans...
                      Yeah, I know...

Originally posted by Heresson I think Adam should go somewhere in the east... Egypt or Syria. These were the richest Roman provinces.
                      That'd be a good idea, actually. Syria especially was a very rich province... What was there?

[edit:] Any seleucid academy or something liek that? I know next to nothing about the history of the successor states, unfortunately.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

What about putting the college in Syracuse to represent Archimedes?
                        It'd be a good wonder, but Heresson is right. The scenario does focus primarily on the Romans and in real life Archimedes is supposedly killed when he pisses off a legionary. Also there's evidence he was related to the King of Syracuse and probably would have given no help to the Romans. I think I might leave it out.

As for putting Adam Smith in Syria or Egypt, most likely Antioch and Alexandria, it's a good idea. Unfortunately I already have three wonders in Alexandria (The Pyramids, the Seti program, and Magellans) designed to simulate Egyptian Grain, the Great Library, and the Lighthouse. I don't want to even consider adding another wonder there.

Antioch could have Adam Smiths to simulate the trade and wealth generated by the city. In fact I might consider this as the city was so huge and revered by the Romans.

Comment

Alright, here's an idea:

Antiochene Trade = Adam Smith

Silver Mines of Hispania = King Richards

Syracusean Trade = Hoover Dam (Hydro Power Plants = Waterway Trade)

I wish there were more economic wonders. Oh well.

Comment

The problem is that there are no "wonders" in Great Syria...
                            Antioch as a city is a possibility. Well, there's Petra and Palmyra in Great Syria, but on the edges of it. Seleucid ruins of Apamea are impressing, as well, but I hardly consider them worth a wonder of this importance. In later roman times, there are possible christian-times wonders - St Peter's basilica in Antioch, St Simeon's basilica next to it, great Diocletian's (I know he was not christian, but he belongs to the era of Constantines etc more than the previous one)

well, there was a great and important law school in Beirut I recall... but I do not remember who established it.
                            I think there was an important school in Caesarea Maritima, but I'm not sure if it was not in later, Roman times. Antioch used to host big sports events. In later roman times it was a big science centre, but in early roman times it was a shadow of Alexandria or even Pella.
                            Middle East!

Comment

Oh, to think of it, great syrian coastal cities did produce purple, didn't they.
                              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                              X