Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COMMUNISM - most customizable Government?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMMUNISM - most customizable Government?

I think it is - you can set it's corruption rate, how much settler's eat and how many units it can support for free. Apart from the 'Veteren Spies' and the fact that you can't edit the science rate, it's probably the one government that you could fine tune to represent any form of Government you like.

Fundamentalism is a worthless government, and should only ever be reserved for the AI to use - the only thing that Fundamentalism has going for it is the fact that it has a unique government unit, and that the science rate can be set... THAT'S IT. The new trend in WW2 Scenarios, for example, is slowly starting to abandon Fundamentalism because it takes away an important gameplay factor - city management. Under Fundamentalism, city management becomes nothing more than 'sand box' mode. Communism, on the other hand, still forces the player to build happiness improvements, include martial law, can be customized far more so than Fundamentalism, and above all presents the scenario/modification designer with a set of universal rules that can be modified to have a far greater impact on the overall gameplay.
    "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
    -Kaiser Willhem II

. . . . .Fundamentalism is a worthless government, and should only ever be reserved for the AI to use - the only thing that Fundamentalism has going for it is the fact that it has a unique government unit, and that the science rate can be set... THAT'S IT. The new trend in WW2 Scenarios, for example, is slowly starting to abandon Fundamentalism because it takes away an important gameplay factor - city management. Under Fundamentalism, city management becomes nothing more than 'sand box' mode.
    IMHO, that is a simplistic overstatement. There are many scenarios which either would not work without non-AI fundamentalist governments or where the time frame is so short, days or months rather than years, that building happiness improvements is completely unrealistic.

During WWII, what government, democratic or totalitarian, actually worried about providing more than the basics . . . food, clothing and shelter . . . so that war production could be maximized. Movies, most of them utter crap, were churned out to keep people entertained and in a state of patriotic enthusiasm. Scarce resources were not allocated to building anything that did not directly contribute to the war effort. Neither was it necessary to station more than minimal forces, 'happiness' troops, in captured cities; the troops were needed at the front.

Fundamentalism models this situation better than any other form of government.
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Been experimenting with Fundamentalism all day... came up with a different perspective on it.

Fundamentalism could easily represent Fascism, with the fanatics replaced as stormtroopers IF the 'free support' option is not included... I believe it's unfair that Fascist governments are able to acquire free support for a good modern infantry unit, and in addition to this are the only player able to build them! In many games I just stock pile so many stormtroopers that i'm virtually invincible, and so to stop this I simply removed the free support for stormtroopers - Fascist governments are still the only government able to build them, but they still have to support them making it fairer in my opinion.

Speaking of unit support, this is what I've put down:

Monarchy: 3

Fascism: 6

Communism: 10
      "bear yourselves as Huns of Attila"
      -Kaiser Willhem II

Comment

Working...
      X