No announcement yet.

Preview & Creation: SPQR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been having a deluge of Roman scenarios recently- the more the merrier I say

PS: Welcome back Steph

Comment

Hiho David, long time no see - good to have you back

Is there any chance you still use your ol'n'vintage MSN account?

Comment

Great! a pre-Punic Italia-centred scenario is not so frequent (I recall only Etrusker - a German-language scenario, and Samnitian Wars)
        "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

CAN'T WAIT!! Great look to it!
          "[A thoughtful Quote]" -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Frankly I'm amazed more scenario's based on this era in history haven't been made, what with the large supply of ToT quality units courtesy of Gareth and the cities graphics courtesy of Curt.

Let me know if you need anything at all for this project Steph, shields, flags, or any other manner of graphic.

Comment

Problem encountered.

Well, well, well, I ran into a problem.

As I own a German copy of ToT I have encountered the following problem: I was tinkering with the Labels.txt and despite editing the said file my game of ToT labelled parts of the in-game texts in German and parts in English/Latin using the newly edited Labels.txt.

Any ideas/suggestions/solutions available?

Comment

After an enjoyable weekend I am back in business with this one ...

* The problem with the labels.txt has been successfully resolved!

* I was tinkering with the in-game creation process lately, soon I can start placing the units!

* I ran CivCity once, maybe another go at this appears to be neccessary!

* I am currently pondering which wonders to include, here are the current standings - any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Pyramids - ?
                Hanging Gardens - ?
                Colossus - ?
                Lighthouse - maybe some Carthaginian fleet wonder?!
                Great Library - I might exclude that one;
                Annales (Oracle) - comes with the advance "Historics"
                Great Wall - I might exclude that one;
                (Sun Tzu's - not available)
                Servian Wall (King Richard's Crusade) - Servian Wall (Rome)
                Atlas (Marco Polo's) - comes with the advance "Geography"
                Michelan. Kapelle - ?
                Observatory (Copernicus') - comes with the advance "Astronomy"
                Magellan's - maybe some Carthaginian fleet wonder?!
                Shakespear's Theatre - ?
                Leonardo's Workshop - ?
                J.S. Bach's Cathedral - ?
                Newton's College - ?
                Adam Smith's Corp. - ?
                Darwin's Voyage - ?
                Statue of Liberty - ?
                Eiffel Tower - ?
                Women's Suffrage - most likely some Roman improvement coming with the 1st Punic War
                Hoover Dam - ?
                (Manhattan Project - not available)
                Senate (UN) - Roman starter wonder
                (Apollo Program - not available)
                SETI Program - ?
                Cure for Cancer - ?

And a teaser ...
                Attached Files

Comment

Proposals:
                  The 7 wonders of the ancient world were:
                  Great Pyramid of Giza 2550 BC Egyptians still stands (Suggerstion: Pyramid. Egypt was the bradbasket of antiquity)
                  Hanging Gardens of Babylon 600 BC Babylonians destroyed after 1st century BC earthquake (Sug. Hanging gardens, oriental religions held quite an influence in the Hellenistic/Roman world and beyond)
                  Temple of Artemis at Ephesus 550 BC Lydians, Greeks dest. 356 BC fire (It was rebuilt. Read what is said by St.Paul in the acts. Some obsolete wonder mabye?)
                  Statue of Zeus at Olympia 435 BC Greeks dest. 5th-6th centuries AD fire (Stands for the Olympic games too. Cure for Cancer or Eifel mabye?)
                  Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus 351 BC Carians, Greeks dest. by 1494 AD earthquake (Just across the sea from Rhodes. Sug. Obsolete wonder?)
                  Colossus of Rhodes 292-280 BC Hellenistic Greece dest. 224 BC earthquake (Laid where it fell till Saracen raiders sold it for scrap, it is said. Sug. Colossus, to stand for the mercantile dominance of Ionia and its many colonies from Spain to the Black Sea)
                  Lighthouse of Alexandria 3rd century BC Hellenistic Egypt dest. 1303-1480 AD earthquake (Sug. Obsolete wonder)

Other Ancient Wonders

The Oracle of Delphi (The hub of gentile religion. Still stands, partially. Sug. The Oracle)
                  The Great Library of Alexandria, recently re-established (Sug. Isaac Newton or Marco Polo, the Civ library gives a huge advantage and complicates game mechanics)
                  The Parthenon survived almost intact till Morozini bombarded it in 1687. (Sug. Copernicus observatory, for the schools of philosophy that endured well into the early Byzantine era)
                  The Colosseum in Rome (Sug. J.Bach's Cathedral, for the Colosseum network)
                  The Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem. Destroyed and rebuilt twice. (Sug. Michelangelo's Chappel, it held great respect among gentiles too. God-fearers even included members of the imperial family)
                  Marian reforms (Sug. Sun Tzu)
                  Roman Fortifications (Sug. Great wall)
                  The Silk Road (Sug. Adam smith at Hecatompylus or the terminus in Damascus)
                  Roman Aqueducts (Sug. Hoover Dam)
                  Roman Roads (Or Appian Way Sug. Womans Suffrage, to represent the blooming of trade under the Pax Romana)
                  The Roman Senate (Sug. UN or Eifel)
                  Roman Factories (Sug. King Richard, to stand for mass production of standardized equipment?)
                  The Twin Harbours (Carthage, sug. Lighthouse)
                  Military Shipyards (Carthage, sug. Richards Crusade?)
                  Fire-Temple in Ctesiphon (Michelangelo?)
                  Some hapiness wonder in Gaul/Britain for the Druidic Cult (Stonehenge sug. Cure for Cancer?)
                  Last edited by tanelorn; October 2, 2006, 18:28.
                  "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                  -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                  "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                  "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Teasing even more ...

Another teaser ... after fighting through the labels.txt and game.txt file I think you earned it
                    Attached Files

Comment

@Jim:

If you post me your cities file, I will reposition the flags and do some updates to the ancient city set...!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, master Curt, you asked for that Anyway, I thank you very much

Here you go (btw, I modded some of your cities to make them fit better into the scheme as a barbarian/tribal city set ...)

Once you should prove done, you can just post it in this thread here, no worries about that
                        Attached Files

Comment

Got them!

Those cities for modern era look like their owners could do Rome some damage!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Aww, those are only there because I have been way too lazy a bugger to make them disappear from the set ...

If you should make any alterations to the modded tribal cities, feel free to do so.

As far as this one is concerned, the icons are done by now

Comment

Update!

Well, well, well.

I am doing the final in-game creation at this time, i.e. placing the units, setting up the starting units, moveable and immobile, etc.

Further adjustments to the rules.txt and the units file is underway to integrate most possibilities.

@ Curt: Feel free to post the modded cities in this thread here, whenever you are done with them

Comment

Working...
                              X