Preview & Creation: SPQR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview & Creation: SPQR

Hullo lads & lasses, I shall reveal what I have been working on for the last couple of weeks. One might ask why I would do this and not finish anything else closer to the beta test or more advanced - be advised that now that I graduated and re-enrolled as a PhD student, I have more motivation for Civ2 helps killing time. And secondly I am quite sick & tired of tanks, fighter planes & all that other vile modern stuff. Nuff 'bout that, here y'all go with the information.

S.P.Q.R.

As the (provisional) name indicates, it will be a scenario about Rome. Not the Rome one would know if anyone said "Rome", much more a Rome before all that history book-style stuff happened.

* The timeframe ranging from 373 a.u.c. - 380 B.C. - up to the First Punic War.

* The map being one of Italy, Sicily, Sardinia & Corsica as well as parts of the Illyrian Coast and the northern parts of what today is Tunesia.

* The civilizations being the (protagonist) Roman Republic, Carthago, the Etruscan League, the Samnites, Syracusae and the Greeks of Magna Graecia.

* And the introductory background text:

About a decade after the Romans managed to capture Veii, the richest city of the Etrurian League, a new threat arose. A band of cisapine Gauls under their chieftain Brennus invaded the Etruscan province of Siena and attacked the town of Clusium. The Clusians, however, overwhelmed by the size of the enemy in numbers and ferocity, called on Rome for help, despite being neither allies nor friends.

Rome, weakened by recent wars, sent a delegation to investigate the situation. Negotiations broke down, resulting in a member of a powerful patrician family killing one of the Gallic leaders. The Gauls demanded the Fabians be handed over to them for justice.

However, the defiant Romans not only refused, but, as Livy writes, "those who ought to have been punished were instead appointed for the coming year military tribunes with consular powers (the highest that could be granted)." The enraged Gauls promised war against the Romans to avenge the insult that they had been dealt, resulting in their march upon Rome.

In Summer 387/390 BC the two armies met on the field of battle, near the river of Allia, only roughly more than 10 miles outside the city itself. About 40.000 Romans under Quintus Sulpicius fought against the Senones, a Gallic tribe who were about equal in number, under Brennus. The Romans, with six legions, took post on the Allia to check the advance of the Senones on Rome. As the flanks of the Romans were routed, the centre, consisting mostly of heavily-armed hoplites, was surrounded and slaughtered.

The remnants of the army fled back to Rome in panic; as Livy states, "all hastened to Rome and took refuge in the Capitol without closing the gates." In Rome the citizens barricaded themselves on the Capitoline Hill, and according to legend Marcus Manlius Capitolinus was alerted to the Gallic attack by the sacred geese of Juno. The rest of the city was plundered and almost all of the Roman records were destroyed.

The Gauls, being a marauding party, have been ill-prepared for the siege, and an epidemic broke out among them as a result of not burying the dead in the devasteted city. Brennus and the Romans negotiated an end to the siege when the Romans agreed to pay one thousand pounds in gold. To add insult to humiliation, it was discovered that Brennus was using heavier weights than standard for weighing the gold. The Gauls provided steelyard and weights, and the Romans brought out their gold. But the Romans noticed that the weights were counterfeited and dared to notify Brennus about the issue. Brennus took his sword, threw it over the weights and exclaimed: "Vae victis!", forcing the Romans to bring even more gold to fulfill their obligation.

In this dull moment of defeat and humiliation new hope arose for Rome. Marcuse Furius Camillus, the conqueror of Veii, arrived with a new Roman army, aessembled in allied towns and survivors of his conquest of Veii, and, after putting his sword on the steelyard, replied, "Not gold, but steel redeems the native land", thus attacking and driving the Senones from the streets of Rome and subsequently defeating them completely just south of the city, earning the honorific "Second Founder of Rome" for saving the city.

More to come soon, stay tuned!

(Attached is the map, if anyone cares )
    Attached Files

A new Jim Panse scenario - Yay!

Dude, please tell me this is for ToT....!!!

I really love ancient era scenarios, so I am excited about this one!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Curt, I thank you for these kind words! Coming from you they certainly mean a lot, my moderator

And of course this is for ToT - I all but stopped using MGE ...

I am done with the city placement and also the tech tree is almost done, I suppose I will have another go at it after next Wednesday ...

Stay tuned

Comment

Oh yes! The early days of Rome, I have been waiting for one of these so much! And to make it even better, made by the legendary Steph Sander! Great to you see you are still sharing your talent with the community!

EDIT: I found the ToT CD you sent me via mail and now I can enjoy the greatness of ToT! It is great to see you only use ToT to force people to get it to enjoy your scenarios. It is like a xenophobic country being forced into globalisation as others are enjoying it so much! (What an absolutely crap simile)
        "[A thoughtful Quote]" -Oscar Wilde

Comment

I know this will be a good one!

And If you need any GFX help, just ask!

Once I get the current items done for Uncle Dead Bird, I am free to help out.

Comment

Great news!
            Oh, the inventions of Archimedes!
            His great mirrors shall burn the Roman fleet at sea-
            but mighty Syracuse shall fall, nontheless.

I bear the name of Timoleon, the Corinthian general who fought for Syracuse from 344 and by 338 had practically pushed Carthage out of Sicily to a foothold in Halycus. This is a scenario I await most eagerly, no doubt!
            "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
            -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
            "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
            "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Roman scens are always welcome!
              "Peace cannot be kept by force.
              It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

But, on the topic of a Roman scen, especially an early one, I think it's a great idea! I would like to see a good ToT scen covering the Birth of the Roman Empire, myself.

Comment

Does the scenario begin as Rome being still a city state just before its ambitions of conquering Italy? And does it end when Caesar is made Imperator?
                  "[A thoughtful Quote]" -Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'm looking forward to it, JP!
                    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Excellent

Let me know if you need additional units.

BTW, what's your PhD in?
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Sounds pretty fun.

Comment

Creation Update #1

First of all, I am amazed how much interest is shown ...

@ fairline: I am writing my PhD thesis about my specialization topic - south-eastern European history in general, about the social, political, economic and daily situation of a patrician family in a coastal town in what is today Croatia. As you might have guessed by now, I have not settled on a formal title for my dissertation with my professor yet

Now let me get you some updates

* I am currently tinkering with the terrain & unit stats, I suppose I will be done with this before the end of this week;

* Furthermore, I will soon be able to run CivCity to get all those improvements in the cities where they belong;

* The tech tree is almost done by now, I am still pondering which govs to use ... any suggestions?

* Graphical progress is advancing as well, I might need only a couple of new units ...

* And last but not least: Here is a teaser (Courtesy of Mr Curt Sibling, Techumseh & Catfish, of course)
                          Attached Files

Comment

GREAT! DAMN FINE! I alway waited for a new and modern Rome-Scenario, as BeBros Imperium Romanum was a great scen at its time, but in the end siege tower-rushs did make the game kind of lame.

Will it be for Singleplayer?
                            Deutscher Meister 2004: WERDER BREMEN

Comment

This is lookign exciting!

Comment

Working...
                              X