Was I Missing Anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I Missing Anything?

I wasn't at that Apolycon '06 thingy, but was I missing anything? It's not brought up on this forum, and reviews extensively mention Civ4 and GalCiv2 (neither of which I have) material, but little, it anything, else. Was there ANY Civ2 material at all? Were any of the SL regulars there? Like I said, not a peep in this part of 'Poly.

I can't remember seeing anything about Civ 2 on the conference's program. That said, I didn't study it too closely as the conference was being held on the exact opposite side of the world from where I live.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

It looks like it had very low attendence, a dozen people or so at most. But they had all the heavy hitters from the industry, Sid Meier et al.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Sid the man Meier was there you say? If I had the time (and cash) I might have gone, it would have been nice to ask him afew Civ related questions point blank.

Comment

Civ2 is old, remember? They've gone on from Civ3 to Civ4 now. Only die-hards who can't let go of the past, like us, still bother with Civ2.

And Brian Reynolds was the main designer of Civ2, not Sid Meier, then again, he was at the ApolyCon as well. Though neither of them were involved in ToT.

CapTVK was at the convention too though, giving some sort of presentation on FreeCiv.

I wasn't there myself, by the way, nor did I want to go.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
            Civ2 is old, remember? They've gone on from Civ3 to Civ4 now. Only die-hards who can't let go of the past, like us, still bother with Civ2.
            Yeah, my copy of Civ 2 is now over 10 years old!
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Too bad the source code petitioneers wasn't properly informed of this meeting. It could have been a golden opertunity to present to them the petition...
              Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Originally posted by Eivind IV
                Too bad the source code petitioneers wasn't properly informed of this meeting. It could have been a golden opertunity to present to them the petition...
                JohnT through a hissy fit when informed and said it "wasn't the proper place". So that was that.

Comment

Well then, I'd like John to tell us when and where IS the appropriate place for it.

Sounds like, based on the miserable attendance, that anything would have been welcome.

A "convention" with only "a dozen" or so people hardly warrants the name. Sounds like we now have some idea of why it was such a failure.
                  Lost in America.
                  "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                  "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                  "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Hear hear!
                    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

JohnT pulled out of the convention months ago. I don't know why.

And I'd like to remind you that the convention relied on the goodwill of Firaxis and Big Huge Games. You can want it to have been presented, but if they weren't interested, it wasn't gonna happen.

And the low attendance was because you didn't go.
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                      X