Gimme the link to that convert=your-civ2-to-MGE thing at CFC, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abandonware . . . . .

Yes, TECHNICALLY, using/modifying abandonware IS illegal.

HOWEVER . . . .

If the company that produced said software is no longer extant . . . . .

Then then are NO consequences and NO enforcement.

Much, but not all, legality is based on potential for HARM. Kind of difficult to "harm" a company that doesn't exist anymore.

The "law" may be clear, but PRACTICAL considerations sometimes moot it.

Here's another wacko example; In my hometown right to the present day, it is illegal to move any motor vehicle through a road intersection without first shutting it off, walking to the center of the intersection, and firing off a warning shot from a gun. To say that this is absurdly impractical misses another point; that it would violate weapons laws that have been enacted since that time. The "law" isn't everything . . . . .

Unless you're pathologically anal retentive.

Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

I guess the issue here is that in the past the owners of this site have stepped in on this board to remove links to MGE patch at CFC. As it's a very long standing site policy, there isn't a lot of point whinging (especially as I've let my subscription to Aployton Plus lapse )
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Re: Abandonware . . . . .

Originally posted by Exile
        In my hometown right to the present day, it is illegal to move any motor vehicle through a road intersection without first shutting it off, walking to the center of the intersection, and firing off a warning shot from a gun.
        Has anyone ever tried doing that every time for a few days? They'd probably get arrested for disturbing public order or something.

Originally posted by Exile
        Unless you're pathologically anal retentive.
        Well...

Though perhaps the most important reason why I decided once upon a time that I didn't like that MGE patch was because it promoted MGE, and it kept everyone using and making scenarios for MGE, while ToT is the superior scenario creation platform.

And at CFC they're pretty confused about the issue too. They basically promote that patch, they have an MGE no-CD patch among the downloads, but they didn't allow Catfish posting a no-CD patch for ToT because it was illegal.

Oh, and, technically, no-CD patches and even the no-limits patches are equally illegal. But well, I don't care about that.

So well, you're right, really. But sometimes I can't help kicking against things so I can feel morally superior for a minute, or just to play devil's advocate.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I need a no-cd crack for MGE as well, please
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

Here you go:
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

Here you go:
              http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads...Civ2_13crk.zip
              You're cured!
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Comment

Thanks, but it doesn't work
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

What did you do with the patch?

Comment

Or actually, another thing you can do...
                      Download and install Daemon Tools (if you don't have WinXP you should scroll down to find version 3.47):

Download my attachment and unzip it. You'll get a file called civ2.iso.

When you run Daemon Tools (I think it's set to run automatically on start up), you'll see an icon in the tasktray (next to the clock on the taskbar).

Right-click on that icon and select "Mount" (it's in the menu somewhere). Select the civ2.iso. You now have a virtual Civ2 CD in a virtual CD drive.

Play Civ2.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I guess the no-cd patch doesn't work if you upgrade to mge via the patch on civfanatics. :P
                        "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                        It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Working...
                        X