Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Korean War Development Thread

Hello, all!

On Curt's advice, I'm starting a formal Korean War development thread for my latest scen. Development thus far on this topic can be found here:

First off, I got your e-mail Curt. Many thanks for your help! I've got at least a list and stats for all my units and am currently working on improvements and Wonders. I'm toying with a number of ideas; if anyone has any, please let me know. Despite ideas of finishing EotRS v1.2, fear not, this one is being worked on. I've got some great graphics and super ideas, and hope to get a real winner made here!

Good show - I'll get a news item for this (and a few other threads) soon!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

A news item has been added for this thread!

Comment

As a question, how are you modeling US air and naval bases in Japan? These bases were critical during the first phase of the war, with Japanese based aircraft striking at the North Koreans and Japanese ports providing essential logistics and maintainence facilities.
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

A good point to bring up. I'd thought of giving those Japanese cities on the map directly to the UN, but I don't want the UN's only buildable unit (South Korean Infantry) built there. Any suggestions?

Comment

Something I had considered was making the Japanese a seperate civ allied to the UN. Then I'd put a 'Japanese Occupational Force' unit or two belonging to the UN in each Japanese city, as well as some naval units. The Japanese would then be set building Capitalization (and couldn't build units in any case). The Japanese Occupational Force units would be immobile and non-disbandable, but the naval units could leave the ports (problem is, they couldn't return). UN airbases placed next to Japanese cities would house UN a/c and be a spawning point for reinforcements beginning in Japan. This is the current idea.

Comment

My humble opinion...

It would be easier to make the UN or Allied civ be based in
              Japan, with forces ready to make way to Korea...

That way, the player can make operational choices and
              perhaps change history as he sees fit.

Comment

Or you could in fact have a Jap civ with cities next to UN bases named for instance "Kyoto Port" or "Osaka AFB" ...

Comment

My advice (if you want it, ) is to keep things as simple as possible. Japan played no role in the Korean War, other than as a US base. It had no armed forces at this time.

The best way to manage this is to plan the map. It should cover just the Korean penninsula and a bit of northern China, plus one US city as a base in Japan, and Vladivostok as the single Russian city.

That gives just 5 civs: N & S Korea, China, the USSR and the US/UN. China enters if the US/UN attacks too close to their border, the USSR intervenes if Chinese territory is attacked.
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

That's probably sound advice, tech. I think, though, I'll keep the US/UN and South Korea as one player as well. That better suits my plans. Thus, four players: the UN, North Korea, China, and the USSR. I don't see how more would be ultimately needed. Or do you see a merit in a seperate RoK?

Comment

No, that would work too. It would allow you to direct both forces, which is realistic once the US was there in force. It also solves the issue of buildable units. Only RoK infantry should be buildable. Everything else came from off-map and should therefore be provided by events.
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Update: Improvements

I've been working on city improvements of late, and have the following ideas:
                          Barracks: MASH Unit (UN only)
                          Granary: Food Stockpiles
                          Temple: Security/Garrison
                          Marketplace: Just that
                          Library: Undecided
                          Courthouse: Local Police
                          City Walls: City Fortifications
                          Bank: Financial Aid
                          University: Undecided
                          Cathedral: Buddhist Temple (UN only)
                          Mass Transit: Not present
                          Colesseum: Gulag/Yoduk (Communist players only)
                          Factory: Training Camp
                          Manufacturing Plant: Not present
                          Recycling Center: Not present
                          SDI Defense: Not present
                          Power Plant: Conscription Office
                          Hydro Plant: Not present
                          Nuclear Plant: Penal Barracks (Communist players only; meltdown is 'prison break')
                          Stock Exchange: Not present
                          Supermarket: Undecided
                          Superhighways: Not present
                          Research Lab: Not present
                          SAM Missile Battery: Radar Station
                          Coastal Fortress: Just that
                          Harbor: Just that
                          Solar Plant: Not present
                          Offshore Platform: Not present
                          Airport: Just that
                          Police Station: Not present
                          Port Facility: Just that
                          If anyone has any suggestions for changes or other comments, I'd like to hear them. Next, I'm going to tackle the idea of WoW.

Comment

for the japanese city problem, if you're not running out of terrain tiles, you could always use, say tundra (renamed and with a new graphic) to produce only minimal food and no shields. make it look like grassland, but call it "Japan." With the one or two shields that the Japanese cities do end up producing, have them used as upkeep for your Japanese Defense force units.

Comment

That may be a decent idea, save I am strapped for terrain tiles. I think maybe barbarian Japanese Occupational Forces blocking up the cities unit production (and a hex-edited alliance with the barbs) may work just as well, except that I couldn't use those cities directly as bases. I don't know what else to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X