Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Dictator WW2 scenario...When should it start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Kellogg
    Well, I don't like that kind of thread jacking but once again: I don't want to bash Canada's war effort or Civ2. Maybe it is my lack of skill in English.

But let me ask you some questions and you may recognise what I want to say.

Why do so many scenario designers forbear from adding a separate Italian civ? The Italians fought in Greece, Russia, Libya, Egypt, Ehtiopia and Italy And I rarely see one of their famous Semoventi.
    What about Romania? Its soldiers died on the battlefields in Stalingrad, didn't they?
    Why is Finland part of the fascist Axis in most scenarios?
    It all depends on the scenario designer - where his/her interest lies...

All wargames include these nations...

Even so, I have played specific Civ2 scenarios that are quite varied: the Japanese invasion of Australia (yes, just Australia). I have played scenarios based on the drug war in a South American country; then there is the Boer War scenario; the War of 1812 based in Canada and USA; Up the Deadly Boot (Allied invasion of Italy); a North Africa scenario; etc, etc...

And let's not forget Nemo's Red Front. Guess what? He had Romanian soldiers included in the invasion of the USSR.

Again, it all depends on what the scenario designer wants in his scenario. Usually, most designers like to go big...

However, any type of scenario and country is possible to plan for (or to include)...

For example, in a WW2 scenario where the Allies invade Europe, you could have a Commonwealth civ where one ship, one infantry unit, one tank unit and one plane unit could each have the Canadian flag. Not a big deal, but this tells the player that the scenario designer has done his homework and has included such nations within the framework of his scenario....

I mean no offense. I understand what you are saying.

But I think the issue is not that it cannot be done; the issue is whether anyone wants to do a particular scenario from a particular point of view...
    Last edited by BillyBud; July 16, 2006, 02:11.

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
      The German 6th Army was drawn into the street fighting inside Stalingrad, leaving it's flanks covered by 2 Rumanian and 1 Italian army. The Soviets blasted through these forces to surround the 6th German army in the city.

Yeah, i suppose there is a price paid for having Hitler the politician, instead of Hitler the general, run the war.

I really think it should be the Axis nations that are divided into seperate civs so as to be knocked one by one out of the war and having the German player to actually decide if he would beef them up by supplying units and techs or keeping all his resources for Germany's defence.

I recall reading that the kraut general staff had estimated that in the event of an Italian entry in the war on the allied side they would need 5 divisions to hold them at the Alps while if the Italians joined the Axis side they would need to reinforce them with 16 divisions to give their army some backbone.
      "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
      Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
        Bravo, BillyBud!

While we can never fully achieve that operational complexity
        we seek in war-gaming with Civ2, we can get something that
        is a dame enjoyable experience from the engine!

OK, at the time of writing, what I am thinking of is a WW2
        scenario, set on a Euro map, with Axis powers of Germany,
        Finland, Italy and Vichy France. With the United States, the
        Soviet Union and the British Allied powers.

The game will not have to be played as Germany,
        but will be geared around their ongoing struggle and
        eventual defeat... (although the player may change that!)

Agree - heheh

btw, you mention that all those Axis nations will be included. Does that mean the scenario can be played by each of those Axis nations BUT cannot be played as the Allies?

If so, then I like that idea very much. Having the option to play as Germany and fight the main war will be quite a challenge. On the other hand, playing as Italy will be interesting, giving the player an opportunity to hold off the Allies while Germany bears the brunt of the tough fighting.

Will specific events be geared towards the particular Axis nation the player is controlling?

Here is an idea. I don't know whether it can be done or not, but I thought I would suggest it:

1) Would it be possible to have Germany build only German military units within Germany itself? In other words, ONLY the cities within Germany at the beginning of the scernario would be able to build specific German military units. Outside of Germany the player would only be able to build cheaper, weaker military units (to simulate conscription of local populace).

This would make it more realistic to build panzers within German cities and then have to ship them to the USSR, France and North Africa, thus simulating the transportation and supply issues that Germany faced.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBud

Would it be possible to have Germany build only German military units within Germany itself?
          I like the idea. One possible way I've seen mentioned (that has its drawbacks) is to spawn units every x turns in German cities. If the Germans control these cities, then the units will appear. If someone else, they won't. I don't know if they'll start reappearing if the Germans were to recapture the city, though.
          My Cepha scenario
          The Solar Revolution
          Soon-to-be-updated collection of Civ2 artists' signatures. If you know one that's not listed, feel free to drop me a PM.

Comment

In ToT, you can restrict what civ builds what...But the events could be used to make certain powerful (jet/sub/missile) units be made available...

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X