No announcement yet.

Stu's privleged cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recognize my own practice in the STYOM long post : lux at 0 in the beginning, then at 20 % when I switch to Rep, and max for Sc.
    One difference : I build temple earlier in the game, as alternative of the martial law in Monarchy : so, when I switch to Rep, I have yet some shields to continue buildings improvement or units.
    With three military units and a settle for any city, it's difficult to avoid lacking of shields in a young Rep !
    JCP
    Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkbait
      I've had a look but can't find much on Straybow's canal cities - what's it all about?

IIRC this is simply building a city that connects with two different bodies of water thus allowing ships to travel from one to the other. With a few lakes and a slice of luck it is possible to construct a waterway that enables ships to avoid major diversions around land masses. They are fun to construct, but not being a major fleet builder, I never found them outstandingly useful.

RJM at Sleeper's

Quite so. On this save there aren't any stringy supercontinents that make canals necessary or attractive. I recall a succession game that I didn't play but kibitzed about canals every chance I got... there are still a couple of pics on my hard drive:
      Attached Files
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I remember that game. You even had suggestions for canals that had very little directional value...there was no need to go there...but the pictures were great!!

And therein lies the rub. I believe most all of your canal and hidden special "instructionals" were buried in the midst of multiple Succession Games. Finding them now by new players will not be easy. And that blows.

Does anyone know offhand if the "player profile: view all threads by..." function works if the thread has been archieved??

Monk
        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
          Quite so. On this save there aren't any stringy supercontinents that make canals necessary or attractive. I recall a succession game that I didn't play but kibitzed about canals every chance I got... there are still a couple of pics on my hard drive:
          I'm still building them in Civ 4, despite the fact that I still rarely build naval units. They are addictive.

RJM at Sleeper's
          Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Better late than never...

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
            Boco (does the handle make you a railway enthusiast?)

HutFinder does not read game files at all - it uses the coordinates of a single hut to locate all huts and specials in the game ...

I don't know whether the huts and specials of ToT follow the same algorithm as vanilla Civ2 - suck it and see?

Stu
            Eventually sucked. Works like a charm for ToT. What a gem!

Um, what's the Rah button do?

Btw, 'Boco' was a result of registering after a long 'Thomas the Tank Engine' reading session to a 3 year old (Dad = , Son = ). Sadly, even he didn't appreciate my attempts at the various accents.
            Last edited by Boco; April 29, 2006, 21:04.
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk

I remember that game. You even had suggestions for canals that had very little directional value...there was no need to go there...but the pictures were great!!

And therein lies the rub. I believe most all of your canal and hidden special "instructionals" were buried in the midst of multiple Succession Games. Finding them now by new players will not be easy. And that blows.

That just means we need more new succession games. The current one didn't appeal to me, between the game set-up and my time restrictions.
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by JCP
                With three military units and a settle for any city, it's difficult to avoid lacking of shields in a young Rep !
                Three mil per city in Rep? Must be MP - in SP rehome to the Shakes city or disband. Even better, use the extra cash to buy some NONEs for defense.

RE: HutFinder - the 'Rah' button was something Rah requested for MP play.

RE: Succession games - perhaps we should start some simple ones that can be played quickly just for the fun, rather than having all the complicated rules that bog things down in the mid- to late-game? That's primarily why I don't play later on - takes too long...

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant

RE: Succession games - perhaps we should start some simple ones that can be played quickly just for the fun, rather than having all the complicated rules that bog things down in the mid- to late-game? That's primarily why I don't play later on - takes too long...
                  I think you are spot on with this observation. A quick, simple game with minimal restrictions might draw in some new players. I'll start a new thread and see if there is enough interest.

Monk
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

My privileged cities are those with 3 or 4 specials.
                    Those will be the mains supportes for wonder- and spaceship building.
                    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
                    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
                      I think you are spot on with this observation. A quick, simple game with minimal restrictions might draw in some new players. I'll start a new thread and see if there is enough interest.

Monk
                      Well it seems that killed it.

Comment

It's probably because I'm a noob and am doing something wrong, but I can't get the .sav you posted to load. My Civ2 just says it's not a save game.
                        === Jez ===

Comment

Which save are you having difficulty with?

Which version of the game do you have?

I think this problem has come up before, so I'll try to remember what the conclusion was then.

RJM

Comment

The save that was posted at the beginning of this thread.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest official patch. v2.42, installed. That fixed the animated heralds.
                            === Jez ===

Comment

Originally posted by jez9999
                              The save that was posted at the beginning of this thread.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest official patch. v2.42, installed. That fixed the animated heralds.
                              I got the same result when I tried to load it in 2.42. I haven't been able to try MGE yet - I can't find my CD

RJM

Comment

Yes, that first save is MGE.

Comment

Working...
                                X