Scenario design contest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario design contest?

Are there still scenario contests? I think there used to be some. It would be real cool if the best designers of all once again went into competition for an award that can only go to the best of all. One common theme would be necessary to keep the scenarios comparable. The award would include lots of honour and all that

I am of course talking strongly from a customer's point of view. All the cool new scenarios such a contest would produce But then again, looking into this board, there's probably been much too little attention to this game.

I'll probably never get to play a decent scenario on the rise of Brandenburg-Prussia. That would be real cool, with multiple events and all...

Last summer our last attempt, SDC#5, was made, but that never really took off. So I don't see it happening. There are still people designing scenarios, though.

Perhaps the best we can do is, say, a "Best of 2006". Not really a contest with a theme, but just a review of the best scenarios of this year, possibly including judge/community voting.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

All I want is a Brandenburg-Prussia rise scenario with multiple events and diplomacy units to simulate their marriage-based expansion. Later on they also waged war, so there's much work to do for YOU.

Comment

I agree with Merc. People these days don't really want to be constrained by rules about what subject they make a scenario about. So that makes it hard to do a
        contest in the traditional sense.

However, if you want a Brandenburg scenario, I suggest you give it a try, once you've got your post count up where you want it.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

That's why I'm saying I'm talking from a customer's point of view. I know I'd play it, but I've never found too much joy trying to create one. I know there are enough people around here more than willing to do it

Comment

How about beginning with a best of for 2005? Or even instead of that golden diplomat thing, an annual best of award for 1996-200-?
            Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

That would not result in new scenarios being created, such as one on the rise of Brandenburg-Prussia for example.

Comment

But as Tech pointed out, creators don't want to be constrained by dictated topics, which I believe there is much truth in. There are not as many creators here as back in the hay days, and hencely the few of them left today make scenarios on impulse. I had no interest in the planned contest #5, as I have no interest in India, which was the topic. And it's hard finding a topic everyone is intrigued by. Personally I only make scenarios I would want to play myself, and sadly neither India nor the Prussian one is any of them.
                Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

I get your point now. IN that case I'll have to do it myself

Comment

Go for it!

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I think that, if there were a contest, the subject should be up to the creator, to do whatever they feel like.
                      My Cepha scenario
                      The Solar Revolution
                      Soon-to-be-updated collection of Civ2 artists' signatures. If you know one that's not listed, feel free to drop me a PM.

Comment

That's just what most people seem to want to do, but where's the contest? It's not much different from what happens now.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Well, IIRC contest #5 was supposed to be based on the MAP of india, and didn't need to be necesarily historical...
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yes, I believe that CurtSibling is still designing the Dalek invasion of India on a slightly modified version of the map.
                            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Spike Milligan's classic Dalek sketch springs to mind:

"Put it in the Curry!"

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X