"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

why not
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Dude, that really isn't cool.
        Almost no one holds back information, because it allows everyone to make awesome scenarios that everyone can play and enjoy. I know that I could really use it for my new scenario, so please don't be so rude, and share your knowledge.

Pap

Comment

I'm not sure, but this might make stacked cities (without hex-editing): Place a Settler/Engineer in a foreign city (via the Cheat menu). Ownership problems could be taken care of by bribing the city. Just a guess, though.

EDIT: Nope, this doesn't work. Has the 'Join City' option rather than 'Build a New City.' And I thought I had something there...
          [This message has been edited by Mr. Oobir (edited May 15, 2001).]
          "The self is a relation that relates itself to itself, or is the relation's relating itself to itself in the relation; the self is not the relation but is the relation relating itself to itself." -Kierkegaard, at one of his less lucid moments

Tremolando shows rage! Sforzando shows excitement! C Minor means gravity!–D Minor means terror!...Round and round like donkeys at a grindstone! -Amadeus

Comment

No, that's not it
            Middle East!

Comment

quote:

Could someone please elaborate on this? What happens whit a 07 govt, how will the game handle it?

Why don't you try it out? I didn't really put too much research into it, as I did not really care. It did seem to work, so I put that notice, just in case anyone might find it handy.

quote:

I was wondering, could one possibly place the cities on top of each other?

Very easily. You can change cities' locations to anything you wish, on top of another next to another, at sea or on mountains. The tricky part is, though, that you have to change the terrain where it is to be moved to to have the flag "city is here", and remove that same flag from where you moved it from. This is quite complicated, and I advise you to ask Jorrit Vermeiren (Mercator) as he is the expert on that subject.
              Effects of cities on the same spot? Well, it just will never become a big city, as it won't have a lot of food.

quote:

In fact, I've discovered the way to put cities on each other without
              hex-editing some time ago. it's very nice thing, it can be very very useful.

Yes, there seem to be some ways, one of which I recently was informed of by someone (not Heresson), but who wishes to keep it secret for the time being. (I guess the same reason as Heresson)

Comment

Man... the attitude of scenario creators have changed since my day. Back them, the only problem we had was Alex more acting like a ***** over his precious units, but this is getting worse. What ever happened to the era of the SLeague where everyone would share their knowledge to increase the quality of ALL scenarios in general. I mean, who cares if someone rips off your idea, there is no money involved. Which makes it even worse to act like sell outs!

------------------
                "The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
                Truth

Comment

I know. I'm bad.
                  But if I share my ideas,
                  no-one will remember they were mine.
                  It's not quite about the fame,
                  but if I will be better known,
                  I won't have problems with getting playtesters.

Though... In fact, most of people are such useless
                  that... One or two good ones stand for thousands
                  ordinary. However, sometimes they aren't free,
                  and what can I do then?

Strange name? I wish to change it, but can't do it
                  now.
                  Middle East!

Comment

Well, if you wanted people to remember you, I think you've just acheived your aim. Congrats!

------------------
                    "The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
                    "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Livings on 05-17-2001 02:37 PM
                      Well, if you wanted people to remember you, I think you've just acheived your aim. Congrats!

My thoughts exactly!
                      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

hehehe I know.
                        C-mon.
                        It is my birthsday today, let me play.

And I have nothing against sharing this and other stuff with everyone.
                        If I'll receive allowance from one guy, I'll do it in next days.

I don't want to be good. Good means dumb.
                        Middle East!

Comment

The only acceptable reason for not sharing a discovery is if it's part of a soon-to-be-released scenario. That does NOT mean one of those vaporware scenarios that exists only in your head or else has been "under construction" since forever. From Allard and his hex-editing document to tool-creators such as Gothmog & Angelo Scotto, the Scenario World is blessed by the presence of countless, selfless individuals.

In the Scenario League, the only coin-of-the-realm is respect. And there's only one way to get it.
                          To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

I find it disconcerting when an important thread like this one becomes polluted with the useless babble of an obvious charlatan like Heresson.

Comment

The problem of civ2 is that the AI is really dumb. In order for the AI to be tough in a scenario, we have to give it half-dozen units for each one a human player kills. Thus, the human player needs to spend a lot of time micromanaging cities and planning movements for every single unit.
                              For some people, playing civ2 is for fun, not for brain-killing. So they give up after half turn of playing.
                              For some other people, they passed the brain-killing test and find or learned a trick, and then suddenly realize that, since the AI has too many units and cities, they must use the trick repeatedly in a monotone fashion. These people soon get bored and give up after 10 turns.
                              Therefore, the only players who can enjoy the scenarios are those who playered without thinking (play as if in a normal civ game). Because the AI is strengthened by the scenario designer, the players will suffer huge losses at the beginning. Those players enjoyed the defeat and praised the designer's plots. Later, the designer's plots turned to the human players' favour and they finally won the scenario.

In order to build a scenario exceeding Nemo's level, we need to make the AI smart while reducing the micromanagement for the human players. For example, after capturing a city, AI units will regroup to that city ('goto'), and after there are enough units there (use a hacker program to get unit counts), they will attack again with a specific target.
                              [This message has been edited by Xin Yu (edited May 18, 2001).]

Comment

Me charlatan?
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X