Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just had an unhappy city trigger a revolution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a faint recollection that the manual says that a city in disorder for more than a single turn 'may' bring down the government - coupled with the above discussion upon time-dilation I wonder if the reality is that a city in discontent for a subsequent turn in an oedo year brings down the government?

Stu speculating again...

Stu
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
      I have a faint recollection that the manual says that a city in disorder for more than a single turn 'may' bring down the government - coupled with the above discussion upon time-dilation I wonder if the reality is that a city in discontent for a subsequent turn in an oedo year brings down the government?

Stu speculating again...

Stu
      Another possibility is that a certain time must elapse before another government change can take place. If your first oedo year is within this minimum period, you have to wait for the next one which would stretch the wait beyod 4 turns.

Does anyone know what happens if your government collapses when you have the instant switch wonder?

RJM at Sleeper's

PS There is a wonder that let's you switch governments whenever you want isn't there? Or am I getting confused by one of the traits in Civ IV?
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I have a recollection that Lady Liberty allows you to return to Demo the next turn - certainly fairly quickly.

Stu
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yup the Statue gets the chance every turn.

I recall a game where I was in Anarchy for seven turns -- I assume I "must have missed" or "blinked" but somehow the magic screen just passed by.
          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Anarchy, the Statue, and Revolutions

While in Democracy

A little test seems in order. I found a save file from an advanced stage game. The point is to see how the Statue bears on an auto-revolt into Anarchy, due to a second turn of cities in disorder.

Findings:

1) If it is NOT an odeo year...after cycling thru the city list the Government list is offered automatically.

2) If, however, it is an odeo year, nothing happens at the end of the city list cycle and, furthermore, the choice under Kingdom to start a Revolution is grayed out.

The save I used was 1816. The fall to Anarchy falls on 1820, an odeo year. Here is that save. Notice the grayed out Revolution under Kingdom. If you click thru to the end of turn, the Gov't choice is offered.

Someone else will have to check the Republic goings on. But, most likely, this odeo year revolution effect applies across the board.

BTW, does anyone recognize this game?? Looks to be from a Succession Game. I was not a participant, but it looked (and looks) interesting so I d/l'ed the save.

Monk
            Attached Files
            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Interesting findings, Monk - and interesting that we are still learning!

RJM at Sleeper's
              Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Glad to see I've provoked new findings in the community.
                Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

Just when you think you know a game.... And I'm a guy who prides himself on knowing the rules.

I always play under the assumption that Republic suffers the same risk as Democracy -- I've probably been playing that way for years now -- so I had to test it. Under Republic (2.42), there was no collapse to anarchy! So I looked in the manual, FWIW.

Civil Disorder, p. 71: "Prolonged civil disorder might bring down a government, and throw your civilization into Anarchy." Now that's the vague, ambiguous kind of language that we've come to expect from the Civ manual!

Democracy, p. 69: "...Democracy is fragile. If even one of your cities remains in civil disorder for more than a turn, your government collapses into Anarchy." I'd highlighted that portion and put a big star next to it, 'cause I kinda don't like collapsing into anarchy.

Republic, p. 67: NO COMPARABLE TEXT!! Sonofagun. Republic is safe.

This has probably been costing me dozens of turns per game. Yeah, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.........

Comment

My experience (under MGE) : a city with desorder may be so during several turns without government collapsing : for instance, during military units outdoor and lack of luxury.
                    Collapsing is automatic under democracy each second turn of desorder : ther's a difficulty to prevent it (even with consulting attitude window) when desorder corresponds with a turn when my population get one more : a second way of desorder may appear, after the former fixed ! .
                    New choice of government appears only on Oedo year or each turn with Statue. But there is a complete turn with anarchy before ! It's a pain when I am in a research race !
                    JCP
                    Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Ah, yes. I remember the Arthur, King of the Britons game. I tried to get the folks to follow the Monty Python script for names, but that's like trying to heard cats.

I think we had made a rule about no Fundies for that game, or maybe a Democratic conquest. Too long ago...

Searched for thread. Oldest succession game thread is 2004.
                      Last edited by Straybow; March 29, 2006, 14:57.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                      X