Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just had an unhappy city trigger a revolution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just had an unhappy city trigger a revolution.

(I'm playing ToT if it makes any difference)

A city on the outskirts of my empire gains some unhappies and rebellion starts there. However, they also trigger a revolution, throwing me from Democracy to Anarchy and (very annoyingly) putting 80% of my other cities into rebellion themselves.

What causes this to happen and can it be prevented?

EDIT: Him, the Anarchy doesn't seem to be ending. It must have been 4 turns by now...

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it let me choose eventually.
    Last edited by Patashu; February 26, 2006, 06:36.
    Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

When in Democracy if a city is allowed to remain in disorder for a second turn the government falls - as you saw.
    Demo is sooo powerful it has to have some drawback

Stu
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

The problem is that your rebelling city was unhappy for more than one turn. That's what triggered the nationwide revolt.

As SG says, that's the main annoyance with Demo. You have to check the Attitude Advisor screen every turn to make sure none of the city names are red before pressing enter. Especially none of the cities with the black fist icon (the black fist cities were unhappy the previous turn).

If being in Anarchy wasn't bad enough... the lack of martial law and the corruption is usually enough to create disorder almost everywhere.

Demo is great is you're growing your empire with celebrations - if you're getting more than occasional disorder, try a celebrating Communism instead. You lose the automatic WLTPD city growth, but you also lose the disorder problem.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Re: I just had an unhappy city trigger a revolution.

Originally posted by Patashu
        (I'm playing ToT if it makes any difference)

EDIT: Him, the Anarchy doesn't seem to be ending. It must have been 4 turns by now...

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it let me choose eventually.
        Saying Hello,

As the first part of your problem has been addressed I'll focus on your edits.

This is probably due to the edeo years quirk. Without the Statue, you will only be able to change Gov't every 4-turns. If this is unfamiliar, check out this thread from the Great Library, topped in the Civ2 Strategy Forum.

Lot's of good bits in the Great Lib.

(It has been so long that I can't remember what happens if you let your situation happen, so I'm just guessing about the edeo effect being the problem.)

Monk
        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I'm aware of oedo years, hence why I said 'It must have been 4 turns by now...' Must have miscounted.

Anyway, I do faintly remember the city being in disorder a turn before, must have lapsed and forgotten to fix it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Patashu
            I'm aware of oedo years, hence why I said 'It must have been 4 turns by now...' Must have miscounted.

Anyway, I do faintly remember the city being in disorder a turn before, must have lapsed and forgotten to fix it. Thanks.
            I've been caught by this as well. It certainly seems longer than 4 turns when you're playing. I wonder if it is possible to miss the first oedo year under some set of conditions? Or perhaps there is some relativistic time dilation effect .

RJM at Sleeper's
            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

I've been caught by this as well. It certainly seems longer than 4 turns when you're playing. I wonder if it is possible to miss the first oedo year under some set of conditions? Or perhaps there is some relativistic time dilation effect .

RJM at Sleeper's
              That's what I was wondering too, since it felt more like 7-8 turns then 4.

Comment

the time dilation is a known bug.
                It occures when the second revolt that brings your governement down happens in an odeo year.
                You think an odeo year just occured (which it did) and the next four turns are painfully slow.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

RJM at Sleeper's
                  Probably has something to do with Quantum
                  "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                  "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    the time dilation is a known bug.
                    It occures when the second revolt that brings your governement down happens in an odeo year.
                    You think an odeo year just occured (which it did) and the next four turns are painfully slow.
                    But the bug is even more pernicious. The second revolt that brings your government down can only happen in an oedo year.

BTW am I right in remembering that republic is also brought down by a second turn of revolt?

RJM at Sleeper's
                    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I don't think so - but I virtually never play in republic

Stu

Comment

Sorry - double post

Stu

Comment

BTW am I right in remembering that republic is also brought down by a second turn of revolt?
                          Nope - in Republic, I sometimes have to let cities sit in revolt for turns on end, just because I can't set the luxuries high enough to end the revolt.

I really should remember to rehome my Caravels to the permanently unhappy city when that happens...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Hmm - my experience is different from STYOM's - a second turn of revolt brings down th government. But it is often a lot easier to fix in Republic when it is military away from home which is the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Grigor
                              Hmm - my experience is different from STYOM's - a second turn of revolt brings down th government. But it is often a lot easier to fix in Republic when it is military away from home which is the cause.
                              I just tested this in ToT. I let Salzburg and Genoa sit in revolt for 3 turns, in Republic. The government didn't fall. Do you have a savegame - maybe this is a MGE vs ToT issue?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X