Cursor graphic scraps in City View window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursor graphic scraps in City View window

Ok, here's another thing which has irked me. We all spend a lot of time making our icons nice, picking out the right colors, etc... But, as I've noticed, when we work on the City View screen a strange thing happens. In the part that shows the tiles surrounding the cities the cursor tends to show up, multiple times, obscuring the terrain improvements.

How do we get rid of this annoying graphical bug?

I assume you're talking about non-ToT Civ2?

The graphic that marks which squares in the city radius are already being used by another city is the same graphic as the cursor. Nothing you can do about it...

Except of course use ToT. ToT uses separate graphics for them.

What are you doing working with MGE anyway, huh?
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

If I understand your problem [Edit]It's obvious I don't, but I'll keep the post in anyway [/Edit], just make sure that you use only the two invisible colors in terrainx.bmp icons. One is pink (255,0,255), and the other is the color of the upper left hand pixel of the rectangle. Here's an example. If the gray dot were not in the upper left corner, then the Catfish would show in the city screen every time you move around a citizen. As it is here, you'll never see the tremendous bloke's subliminal advertising.

Here's a bug that bugs me. The tile with the Main Map sign is Tundra. The road is a river. Whenever a river lies to the bottom left or right, the part of the Tundra icon that lies above the diamond is drawn a second time along the bottom border of the tile.

I seem to be having trouble getting the pics to display. Lemme edit it a bit.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Hmmm, you know what, now that I look at it, you're right Merc. The game, at least in ToT because that is what I was looking at, uses the regular cursor to demarcate which tiles are not worked by a city.

Damn, I must have never noticed it in regular vanilla games...

Ok, problem explained. Thanks for setting me straight.

Comment

I get a lot of trouble with annoying railroad GFX bugs.

I am sure Catfish had studied the relationships between tiles.

Not sure what findings he made...His site may have answers.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

This "bug" is only inside the city view, right? Why does that bother you? It's just an indication of what squares are occupied if I uderstand correctly

Btw, stop bashing MGE! It's a beutiful version!
            Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Beautiful, apart from the random crashes when running old scenarios!

The solution is to merely leave no purple demarcation borders in the icon area...
              I tend to leave the entire background pink, and this prevents any ingame GFX slurry.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well my deal wasn't with the invisible colors being off, rather the icon was showing up in the city screen. I thought this was not supposed to happen.

Merc, you're saying there are two graphics that ToT uses? Ok, I was checking out Curt's Dictator 5 and the city view used the same red cursor, even though there is only one red cursor graphic in the icon file.

Comment

Originally posted by Eivind IV

Btw, stop bashing MGE! It's a beutiful version!
                  It's obsolete. Move on.
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I seem to have completely missed this thread after my first post. Thanks for the bump.

Originally posted by Boco
                    Whenever a river lies to the bottom left or right, the part of the Tundra icon that lies above the diamond is drawn a second time along the bottom border of the tile.
                    Interesting... I'm sure that could have some good uses as well...

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                    Merc, you're saying there are two graphics that ToT uses? Ok, I was checking out Curt's Dictator 5 and the city view used the same red cursor, even though there is only one red cursor graphic in the icon file.
                    Ah, that's probably because my earlier explanation wasn't quite right.

The blinking unit cursor is new in ToT and separate from the squares marked in the City View. The cursor you get when you've right-clicked a square, though, is still the same as the City View marker.
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                    X