No announcement yet.

Supply and Demand Calculator v2 beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, well I have looked up your issue and it appears to be fairly common among XP users. Fortunately, it also has a common solution. And here are the Steps.

1) Download msstdfmt.dll (available a variety of places, just google it)
    2) put msstdfmt.dll in your System32 directory
    3) Click Start>Run, then type cmd and hit enter
    4) Type REGSVR32 %systemroot%\system32\msstdfmt.dll
    5) Hit Enter and it should work.

If not, then my next version will be slimmed down somewhat and hopefully will no longer need this DLL.

StuporMan
    Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

StuporMan's Supply and Demand Calculator
    Supply and Demand Calculator 2.0.1 Beta Now loading savegames!

Comment

Think its working now that I did as you suggested, then registered comdlg32.ocx

Many thanks - will give it a whirl!

Comment

Anything new on this, or coming soon to a nearby screen??

Monk
        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Hey Monk!

Unfortunately I had a hard drive crash that destroyed the latest source code for the project, so I have to go back a couple of versions and start over. Basically I have lost the source to all the .sav file loading at this point and I would have to redo all of that work. At this point I am very discouraged, and I have not seen a lot of interest in this project. I have considered letting this project fade into obscurity, but whether or not I decide to finish this project it will take a long time to get the lost source back unless I can find a more recent copy of the source.

StuporMan
          Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

Comment

As a former programmer, I feel your pain, especially if you lacked a printout of the latest source.

Comment

Yes solo, I lacked printouts even of the notes on how I went about making the save loading work. Fortunately I think I still have the document covering the structure of a .sav file, so I will at least have that to go on.

I will likely give this another attempt eventually, but it may take a while. I am trying to wrap up graduate school and do not have a lot of time to work on side projects unfortunately.

Hopefully my having done a lot of this before will only make the project better in the long run.

It is good to know that someone else has felt my pain.

Thanks,
              StuporMan

Comment

Wow!! I can't imagine how devastating that must feel. So very sorry to hear this news. I was hoping to use this as a short cut to the kind of 'magic' solo has demonstrated. My brain is no longer capable of completing those complex calculations. Having an idea about where to build for particular commodities would be very helpful.

Monk

Comment

StuporMan, condolences for your loss. I feel with you.

*In the first version the S&D didn't always match (although I activated a trigger first). Are the formulas different now?

*I get "error'd" report any time I try to open a .sav or . net file

Fortunately I think I still have the document covering the structure of a .sav file, so I will at least have that to go on.
                  There is a very detailed document about the .sav structure in the Scenario League forum (a newer version than the link in the GL index).
                  Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

SlowThinker,

The formulas have changed slightly from version 1.1 to version 2.01. Each iteration (hopefully) gets a bit closer to the formulas Samson wrote and a bit closer to the way the game calculates supply and demand.

As to your error, which version of a .sav file are you using? Currently I have only tested a 2.42 file. I cannot remember if I ever got around to testing anything from MGE. Unfortunately, since I am missing the source code, I cannot debug the application at this time. I am still hopeful that I can recover it somehow, but until then I have to make plans to redo all of the work between versions 1.1 and 2.01.

The document I was using was the most recent version of the one in the scenario forum. I remember at the time I was looking for it, the document was missing due to some lost forum threads in the scenario forum. One of the helpful residents of the forum was kind enough to e-mail me the latest version of the file he had. Yet another example of why this is one of the best on line communities ever.

StuporMan

Comment

As a fellow programmer - I feel for you

Stu
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

There is no more rabid a believer in backups than one who has just suffered a major loss...

Did you reformat the drive or replace? There are some "deeper" recovery techniques that often work if the crashed drive has not been reformatted. Also, there is the question of trusting it again...

Comment

Actually, last night I was able to find a backup I had made buried deep within my programming archives on another computer. I am not sure it is 100% current, but I do know that it can successfully load a 2.42 save file!

I am going to go ahead and make sure to back it up to my regular archives so I make sure I do not lose this code again. Thanks for all of your support, I really apreciate your kind words. It has given me the extra push I need to resume this project. Hopefully I can reward you with a new & improved version soon.

SlowThinker, could you please post the save file you were loading that was causing problems? I will take a look and see if I can't figure out what the problem is.

Thanks,
                          StuporMan

Comment

Yeah!!

Backups are good. Hope you are able to work things out as this seems a very promising utility.

Do you have classes this summer??

Monk

Comment

Great news!

Now I am willing to wager that you will quickly become a convert to that curious cult of fanatical backupers!

Comment

Monk,

I do not have classes this semester, so I will have some time to squeeze this little project in whilst working on my graduate project and at work.

solo,
                                Yes, I have switched governments to fundamentalism and have started cranking out backup fanatics!

StuporMan

Comment

Working...
                                X