WIP: Some mythical thingy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't help it!
    What, no Crete in the map? Not because I happen to be Cretan or anything, but Crete is the cradle of civilisation in Greece (6000 bc) and the oldest bronze age culture in Europe (2600 bc). No Minotaur? No palaces-labyrinths? No snake godesses? No blood tithe? Bull leaping? Double battleaxes? Priest king Minos judge of the underworld? Daedalus and Icarus flying to the sun? The first naval power in the world? The first writing system in Europe?Indoor loos? C'mon let me add the old country to the map!!!
    Besides, half of the islands in the Cyclades are Minoan outpostsin the start of the scenario...
    (The explosion of Thera and the myth of Atlantis= civ2 nukes hitting the old empire, invaders from the mainland in tow)

Besides, almost all Greek gods were born in Crete according to mythology, so they d'agree with me.
    "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
    -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
    "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
    "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Eh, Crete happened to be outside the boundaries I chose. If it comes to that, there were a lot of settlements in Cyprus and Asia Minor too, but I left them out, because I wanted as much of the action as possible to happen on the peninsula itself. I've included some Cretan elements (there are minotaurs, and Talos is a wonder, as is Daedalus), but since the Minoan civilization was so distinct from the Myceneans and such (more of a foreign power), I didn't include Crete.

This scenario isn't too concerned with the political realities of the time (the archeological research I've found is too sketchy for me to be accurate in that respect), and if I were to go by the probable cultural attributes of the time, half of what we think of when we think of "Greece" (Hoplites, Triremes, Herms, colonnades, goatlike satyrs, and who knows what else) wouldn't exist. I placed the scenario c.1500 BC just because that way it starts out roughly before the probable date of the "heroic age" of the Trojan War, Hercules et al. Plus I'd feel weird trying to incorporate historical realism into a scenario with monsters and deities running around. The bottom line is, this scenario is all about the myths. Even the player civs were just chosen based on the centers of worship for the seven Gods, basically ignoring the political realities of the time. Whatever those were. This was inspired to some extent by Age of Mythology, though I've never played that.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to say thanks for the fixup. Nice and prompt too! Though I'll probably widen the isthmus by one square so it won't turn Isthmia into Greece's version of the Panama Canal.
      Last edited by Elok; October 12, 2005, 12:37.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Ok, now I see . Well, either way, I am looking forward to the outcome!
        "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
        -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
        "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
        "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Oh, and I think one of the "impossible" techs (you know, the prereq for unbuildable units that you want to appear in the civilopedia) will be "Apolyton," now that you guys suggest it. If the word does indeed mean "the mighty ones," it's an appropriate title.
          1011 1100

Comment

It means ultimate, as a result of the merger between the Ultimate Civilization Site and the Greek Civilization Site.

Comment

Okay, it's back from the dead, more or less. I just took a deep breath and shuffled the tech tree into place tonight. It's about as big as the regular Civ2 tech tree, but a good deal simpler, to make things easier on the player (and on me, as I had to organize the thing).

I'll be using Tanelorn's mod of the map I posted here earlier, with few alterations.
              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
              X