The Seven Years War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Seven Years War

Well, except for some bugs in events I've been unable to fix, which I'll post in a separate thread, I'm pretty much ready to release my 'Empire of the Rising Sun' scen. I've carefully considered my next scen, but Chris and Eivind's posts on Techumseh's latest thread set it off: the Seven Years War. I though I'd take a break from modern scens (my last ones being EotRS, the Vietnam War, the Late Cold War, the Contemporary Middle East, and some tinkering with Cold War and Post-Cold War Europe), and try some horse, wooden ship, and iron cannon action. I know the rough parameters of the war (It essentially started as a 'turf war' over Silesia between Maria Theresa and Frederick II, it dragged in Sweden, France, Spain, and the UK, and spread to the American, African, and Asian colonies) but on Friday I'm headed to the library to fully research the subject. Eivand, If you'd like to share those units, I'd be most grateful. Any other comments and/or criticisms are welcome and encouraged (help me here).

Well I think there could be a great deal of interest in a war based on this period of history. Many historians have suggested that this was in fact the first world war as it combined the French and Indian War in North America, the 2nd Carnatic War in India and the 3rd Silesian War between Austria and Prussia as well as of course the actual Seven Years War itself between Great Britain, Prussia, and Hanover against France, Austria, Russia, Sweden, and Saxony while Spain and Portugal were eventually drawn into the conflict.

Comment

One of my concerns about a world map, even a giga-one like that used in Curt's 'Dictator,' is that Europe, where the most intense and biggest scale fighting was, will be too small. In fact, will there be enough room for both Hanover and Saxony on the map, as, as you know, cities can't be put adjacent to each other. Don't get me wrong; a world map would be ideal for such a scen; the size of Europe is just a concern.

Comment

You could use the one Steph used for Blood & Steel (made by Harry). Just alter it some (maybe not so far west into north america, and put more of India into i). Just a suggestion..
        "Peace cannot be kept by force.
        It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Yes, that map, cut in the West at about the Mississippi and expanded in the East to at least include Eastern India and maybe Southeast Asia, could work nicely. Thanks for pointing that one out! Do you, perchance, have any other suggestions (or does anyone)?

Comment

Look a the post in Tech's thread. I posted a nice map modified for this era. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=137074
            Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Well after examining this map I would have to say that as far as I'm concerned it should be the front running contender. It features a large enough europe to host the majority of fighting, while at the same time having enough of the colonial theatres to create the atmosphere of what was really a global conflict.

I'm curious, does anyone in the forum know a great deal about the fighting in coastal Africa as well as in India?
              Attached Files

Comment

Also, here are a couple of units that might prove usefull, a Russian Grenadier as well as a regular infantry. I'm not sure whether units from this era would look better with or without the military gear on they're backs.
                Attached Files

Comment

Great map! And your two Russians look splendid, Chris! I'll have to examine this SYW cache and old scen; they might be pretty useful.

Comment

Well I'm very curious to see what you can find in the cache that might help out. In any case attatched below is a Prussian Grenadier along with a Prussian Regular I thought might be usefull for this little endevor.
                    Attached Files

Comment

outstanding! and i like the map too!
                      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Yes the concensus seems to be that that map is perfect for this project. Attatched below are simple modifications of the Seven Years War artillery units Eivind provided earlier.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Put some packs on those men! They had gear just Napolean's troops did.

Comment

Yes sir Commander Tuttle! I'll order the packs on those men in double time.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X