Empire of the Rising Sun Almost Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empire of the Rising Sun Almost Done

Well, everything but a few pesky events and the wait for two fairline US Navy dive bombers (the Devastator and Helldiver; you haven't forgotten about me, have you fairline?) in this scen is done. It's almost ready for full beta playtesting. I'm currently toying with an idea which I'm not sure about (this debate is what's stalling the events, BTW). I'm considering having alternate events files after Dec '43 which will be loaded depending on how well the Japanese player is doing by then (based on the base objectives system). You'd use the batch file to activate one events file if you're winning and one if you're losing. After all, the US won't be storming Okinawa if their West Coast is under attack. Someone let me know what they think of this idea, please. Also, @Curt, if I ask really nicely, could you whip me up a People.bmp file appropriate to WW2 Japan?

will the alternate events include a truce between the US and japan if a stalemate forms and lasts beyond 1945?
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

I plan to let them fight it out till Dec '47 before forcing a truce. A Japanese surrender may come sooner, however, if the player suffers the more historic level of defeat (including being A-bombed a couple of times).

Comment

For those who may think I'm dragging my feet, here's my checklist on accomplishment on the EotRS beta:
        -Rules.txt: Done
        -Units.bmp: Done except for Devastator and Helldiver
        -Cities.bmp: Done
        -Icons.bmp: Done
        -People.bmp: Not yet
        -Sounds: Done
        -City Placement: Done
        -City Improvements: Done
        -Terrain Improvements: Done
        -Roads and Railroads: Done
        -Unit Placement: Done
        -Events: Done up to Dec '43 (further events waiting pending decision on alternate events files thereafter).

Comment

My final stages of this project (I know, sorry for the wait) will, I'm afraid, be further delayed by an unfortunate situation. I've got a virus or worm that has infected my mouse driver, and it eventually does away with it entirely, after cursor lag and involuntary clicks. Setting my Windows clock back only delays the inevitable. I've backed up 'Empire of the Rising Sun' (and many other things) onto CD-Rom, but I'll have to do a full restore, then reset all my settings and re-install a bunch of stuff, putting my schedule off all the more. I was a hair from being done, too, but I have a few tricky events left, and I want to back it up before my mouse freezes solid again (it's lagging horribly as I type this). Sorry, but I will deliver a beta in a week at most (I hope).

Comment

Good luck with restoring your computer. That is much more important than getting the beta out quickly. I just managed to get get rid of an Alcan worm on mine; fortunately, before it did any damage.
            Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
            Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Zonealarm and AVG - Get them both, pronto!
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

AVG

Comment

Well, after two system restores with full formats (thankfully with backup disks this time) and four days in the shop, my computer's back up and running. Which means, it's time to finish 'Empire of the Rising Sun!' I just posted to say I'm back on schedule, and any last minute contributions would be welcome.

@fairline, how far am I on the list for the Devastator and Helldiver? I do kind of need them to complete this scen. No rush, but just a hint as to a rough timetable would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Well, I admit there's been a two-week-long distraction in my plans to finish EotRS, but now I'm back on task. There are two things I need help with, though. First, I've finished the initial events, and those for '44 onwards where Japan's losing, but I need some solid advice on what to put in the ones where Japan's actually winning. Second, and this one's directed at fairline, I've tried making subtle implications and polite requests, but now I'm practically on my hands and knees humbly begging for that Devastator and Helldiver graphics to finish this scen! If anyone could be of help with either, PLEASE drop a post.

Comment

Here's the deal Patine: you're in a queue I'm afraid. I bumped you to the top once for the other two aircraft but now you'll have to wait.

It's probably best to use alternative graphics unless you want to wait for a couple of months.
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

My apologies, fairline, for pushing. I knew I was in a queue, but I honestly had no idea how long it really was. I should be able to get them for the final release (I hope), but I will take a look around for temporary alternatives (though, I warn everyone, these makeshift planes may be dated or hideous, or both).

Comment

i'll try revamping some DV planes for you,
                          as soon as i am done with the batch of star wars units i am working on,
                          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Thanks, Erika. That should suffice till fairline is done. It will at least make the scen playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Patine
                              First, I've finished the initial events, and those for '44 onwards where Japan's losing, but I need some solid advice on what to put in the ones where Japan's actually winning.
                              I would hardly call what follows "solid". Extremely iffy is closer to the truth.

I assume that you would like to make it tougher for Japan from '43 onwards. I think that you may have to make an arbitrary decision as to how the war in Europe is going. I wonder what would have happened if Hitler had blown a gasket while delivering his annual harangue at Nuremberg or one of the assassination plots against him had succeeded. Would the Allies have accepted a negotiated peace with the new German leadership?

For the purposes of the scen, something like that would have had to happen to free up massive US, UK and Soviet forces for redeplyment to the Far East. American aid to China could enter through Russia and the British could probably funnel units through Afghanistan or Pakistan. I suspect that Japan would be in control of the Pacific shipping routes so that Australia would be on its own.

I know that this is pretty farfetched but it does have a kind of mad logic.

Comment

Working...
                              X