Stupid Question by the New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question by the New Guy

I can't seem to install my version of CIV II - I keep getting a box upon installation that reads "Cannot find Shell.dll" with a button that reads "Ok". It gives me this box about four times and then a final box comes up that says it cannot locate the "civ2.exe" file.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanx.

I believe that some people have reported problems when attempting to install on a machine using Windows XP with service pack 2. If that is your operating sytem, there may be some useful advice on the civ fanatics web site.

I don't remember anyone reporting the specific problem you describe - could your CD have become corrupt? I presume you have tried more than once. If not, it's certainly worth trying to clean the CD and then installing after a cold re-boot.

I suspect you will get better advice (ie advice from people who know more about these things than I do) if you post details of your operating system and which version of the game you are attempting to install.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

thanx for the reply rjmatsleepers - yes, i am using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed. I'll go look around and see what I can find out about that - if anyone else has a quick and easy answer though, I'd appreciate it!

thanx!

Comment

These threads on CivFanatics address most of the known problems with Civ2 and Windows XP... The "solutions" never seem to work for everyone, unfortunately:
        I just re-installed Civ2 after a long time of not having it, and now it decides to give me an error message...I click on the icon to start the program, and it says "Cannot find SHELL.DLL" several times, then a new window pops up, saying "Cannot find file C:\MPS\civ2.exe (or one of its...

Can anyone tell me how to get Civ2 to run on Win2000. :confused: When I launch the game I get the error message: CIV2 caused a Stack Fault in module IR41.DLL at 0002:019D. Choose close. CIV2 will close. :mad: Thanks, Doctor Atomic

I've tried to install Civ 2 through Windows XP but when I start to install it a pop up appears with the following on it C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows. Choose close to terminate the application. Does anyone know what...
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

i can't seem to get it to work no matter what i do - guess i'm stuck with three civ2 games i won't be able to play and i'll HAVE to play civ3 . . . thanx for all the help guys - it is appreciated; my system just won't get it to work

Comment

Originally posted by ArenorPendragon
            i can't seem to get it to work no matter what i do - guess i'm stuck with three civ2 games i won't be able to play and i'll HAVE to play civ3 . . . thanx for all the help guys - it is appreciated; my system just won't get it to work
            If you want to try something extreme, have you considered uninstalling SP2? I don't know how easy it is to do that (or even whether it is possible), but if you can uninstall it, Civ II should then load OK. I assume this is so because there are a number of us who play Civ II on Windows XP.

RJM at Sleeper's
            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

my computer has had major probs with SP2(and running games period(??) but i couldnt get it to uninstall,so i reinstalled windows(a once a month thing anyway)
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I'm running both Classic and MGE on an XP laptop with SP2. I'm not positive, but I think my last XP reinstall I did the SP2 upgrade first, then installed Civ242, then did Cedric's patch/update to MGE. Works fine.

Comment

thanx to all of you - i uninstalled SP2 and re-installed Civ2 v2.42 and it works just fine - it's been so long since i've played it (and i've been playing civ3 for so long) that it's gonna take some getting used to again!!!

again, thanx to all of you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X