Reconstitution . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exile,
    I seem to remember having a problem like that, try downloading the Indeo Video Codecs at Cedric Greens site

Cedric
    You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
    We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

Jorrit, took your advice and unzipped the vbrun 300 directly into the civcity and civtweak files. Worked. Now I can run those two and mapedit.

Now if I can just figure out the 2.42 patch.
      Lost in America.
      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Here are the issues with my attempts to apply the patches;

1.) the 2.42 patch doesn't seem to do anything except prevent the game from loading with the "smedsetc." message.

2.) the 1.3 whatever patch seems to make the AIs behave a tiny bit more like I'm used to.

Neither one of these does two things I'm looking for;

1.) a small window should appear at the end of each game-turn announcing how many units of mine were killed during the turn, including during other player-turns. This is a measure designed to address online, multi-player games, alerting one to losses when they wouldn't otherwise be seen due to being lost during another player's turn.

2.) the goto command, which used to work remarkably successfully, especially for long ocean voyages in Imp1870, now craps out and runs the unit around in a circle, then stops.

Whatever patch I used to have in the thing worked pretty well. I need to get that patch back and install it.

I am open to suggestions . . . .
        Lost in America.

Comment

I told you the 2.42 patch wouldn't work...
          The Civ2 classic executable (i.e. 2.42) isn't compatible with the MGE dll files. That's why you're getting that error. (Civ2 classic is 16-bit, Civ2 MGE is 32-bit)

As for the two improvements you're looking for...
          1) I've never seen that small window indicating losses. I think that's a feature of multiplayer games only. I don't think you get that in single-player games. So have you actually played multiplayer games with it yet?
          2) The Goto command never worked well. You must've been lucky when it did work. Are you sure you're not simply experiencing the dateline bug?
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

1.) Yes, Jorrit, I've seen the little window hundreds of times when playing SP. There is no doubt that it should be there.

2.) Once again, I've played literally hundreds of SP games in which the goto command functioned MUCH better than it currently does. It never worked perfectly, but it formerly worked a lot better than now. In Imp1870, I often play as the Americans, and send most of my trade units by ship to various European ports. Once the trade units are dropped, my habit has been to hit the 'G' button, which brings up the city list and goto command. Then I simply slap the return button on the keyboard, because the first city that comes up on the list alphabetically is Boston, and this is the most convenient port for sending trade to Europe. Without flaw, the ships took the command and made their way back toward Boston, only stopping if they encountered a naval unit of another civ. Now, when I do this, the ships just move in a circle of about 3 or 4 squares, and stop, canceling the command. The difference is clear and unmistakable. Whatever patch I WAS using, it made the goto command function FAR better than it does currently. I tested this commmand in other oceans in Imp1870 and the ships on the Asian side of the Pacific almost made it back to American Pacific ports, but failed to take commands that sent them to Australian & Asian ports from the American side. This NEVER happened before the reinstall. Moving ships across a giga-map is tedious and time consuming. Being able to give them orders to go to a specific port is a great boon, and one that I want back again.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with finbar?
            Lost in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile
              Does anyone know how to get in touch with finbar?
              Try asking in the Multiplayer Forum, one of the Aussies is sure to know how to reach him!

Note: a "working Goto" patch is something I wouldn't mind either...
              Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Yep.

After a perusal of the multiplayer civ2 forum, I found that, unlikely though it may well be, the Aussies are still at it. Sent him a PM.

The patches that I installed once when trying to play multiplayer with him are the only patches I ever installed, so they are certainly the ones I'm looking for.

(and yes, he crushed me)
                Lost in America.

Comment

Re: Yep.

Originally posted by Exile
                  unlikely though it may well be, the Aussies are still at it.
                  Well, we have had a conservative government since 1996. What other fun things do we have to do?
                  'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                  - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

One thing I've always liked about Aussies--their plain-spoken, no-nonsense attitude.

Maybe it's because I'm from a formerly frontier region myself.

Of course, now it's inhabited by a bunch of johnny-come-lately ninnies, who spend too damn much time in baptist churches prattling on about "gawd," while they scheme to steal from each other and screw each other's wives.

So, yeah, Case. It's much the same here.

A POX on these so-called civilized people!

Lost in America.

Comment

Working...
                    X