No announcement yet.

WW2 Unit Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my good Jimmy the Stuka Dive Bomber, or Muel Dive Bomber as its known in the series was quite accuratly described. Its sloped wings, fixed landing gear combined with a dreadfull noise produced when it dives to its target below are all trademarks of the Muel. That and the fact it has terrible defence against enemy fighter lead me to what I thought was a safe assumption that it was a Confederate version of the Stuka.

Now the B-17 was a bit more sketchy. The Rebs do indeed have somewhat longer range heavy bombers used to attack Philadelphia and New York City, but I can't remember what the name of those bombers were or any accurate descriptions for that matter. The reason I went with the B-17 was because of this artwork on the paperback eddition of Settling Accounts, which I have to say is ALOT better than the lazy attempt at coverart used in the hardcover release.

Hopefully Steph and I can find the time to produce this amazing game, but only after the three books have been released. Which sadly won't be until at least the summer of 2006.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika
      how will the warships look, are you going to divide the us battleship designs between the two?
      I.E. North gets Pensylvania and south dakota class while the south gets maryland and iowa classes?
      Maybe the north should have the Montana class of Super battleships.
      "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
      "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Fine units Chris

Btw, that Rebel bomber is called "Razorback"

Comment

Originally posted by Sarsstock
          Well my good Jimmy the Stuka Dive Bomber, or Muel Dive Bomber as its known in the series was quite accuratly described. Its sloped wings, fixed landing gear combined with a dreadfull noise produced when it dives to its target below are all trademarks of the Muel. That and the fact it has terrible defence against enemy fighter lead me to what I thought was a safe assumption that it was a Confederate version of the Stuka.

Now the B-17 was a bit more sketchy. The Rebs do indeed have somewhat longer range heavy bombers used to attack Philadelphia and New York City, but I can't remember what the name of those bombers were or any accurate descriptions for that matter. The reason I went with the B-17 was because of this artwork on the paperback eddition of Settling Accounts, which I have to say is ALOT better than the lazy attempt at coverart used in the hardcover release.

Hopefully Steph and I can find the time to produce this amazing game, but only after the three books have been released. Which sadly won't be until at least the summer of 2006.
          I hope it won't be a stillbirth like many others with promise. You have a good partner in Steph though, so I would say the outcome looks good. The whole mule thing still perplexes me though. I am not saying you're wrong, I would come to the same conclusion given the description. I agree that the coverart is definitely inferior, especialy compared to the previous trilogies. Hope to see more on this in the future. Maybe you guys could do a three part scenario to match the book.
          "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
          "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Montana class eh? Sounds good I suppose. I won't go into the details of the naval combat in the Second Great War Jimmy as you haven't yet reached that part of series. However, if any ship were to bear the name Dakota Erika it would simply be the USS Dakota, as in the How Few Remain timeline Dakota is a single state.

It would be interesting to open up a thread for development, as we would seem to have plenty of time to work on the project before it could be released. If possible I'd love to make it so that all the infantry units use the new style developed by Curt.

Btw Steph, thanks for the info on the Razorback!! While we're at it do you know the names of the Confederate fighters as well as the Yankee fighters / bombers? I should really take notes next time I read a book that might be turned into a scenario.

Comment

The Confederate fighter is the Hounddog.

The US fighter is the Wright 27.

Nice units BTW

Comment

The Hounddog and the Wright 27 eh? Do we have any idea what they're designs might be based on? I suppose the Wright 27 could be something along the lines of the P-40, but would the Hounddog resemble something like the Spitfire or the Me-109 I wonder? Any idea's?

Also, how about Confederate and American armor? Any idea's on what they might look like Typhoon, Steph or Tom? If so then perhaps we could put together a very preliminary unitset along with a Canadian partisan unit, a Quebecois occupational unit, and some sort of American refugee unit.

Comment

Well Chris, from the rather Germanic aspect of the Confederate Air Force, I don't think that a Me-109 look-alike is too far off since they already seem to have Stukas.

From what I recall, the CS barrels have 2 inch (50 mm) guns and poorly sloped armor while US barrels have 1.5 inch (37 mm) guns and well-sloped armour.

This I think would make the CS barrels the equivelant of an improved Pzkpfw III Aus E- earlier models of the Panzer IIIs were upgunned from 37mm to 50mm after the Battle of France showed that they were inadequate in penetrating the thick armour of British infantry tanks.

I don't really think there is an exact analogue to the US barrels though- the sloped armour puts into mind the T-34 or at least the Sherman- but both had much better armanent than the measly popguns that Morrell's tankers seem to be using.

Given the time frame of Return Engagement (1941-42), I would probably guess that it would be similar to a M3 Stuart/T-26, albeit with sloped armour.

(I'd better stop spamming here.)
                  Last edited by typhoon; May 4, 2005, 10:24.

Comment

Spamming? My friend no post could have been more insightfull and on topic. I'll get to work on these units ASAP and we'll see if the end result can generate more interest for the Settling Accounts scenario.

Comment

Stephan's Unit Compilation

Just to fill up some of the yet unused space in this here thread
                      Attached Files

Comment

another round of tweaks, i sleep now,
                        edit: now that i am awake,
                        the top 2 are an italian p40 heavy tank, and a soviet js-1,
                        the next 2 are soviet KV-85 and KV-2
                        The next 2 are su-76's one with a kv-1 turret and the other with a js-2 turret, i just thought they looked neat,
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Broken_Erika; May 5, 2005, 14:57.
                        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Those are nice units Erika, what exactly were the modifications that were made in this case? And Steph I just love your compilation up there! Its a damn shame the miniature infantry unit style never caught on.

Comment

@ Jim aka Steph: I have never seen that version of my originally hideous A7V. It looks freaking great compared to my original. I guess it looks pretty damn good on its own too for that matter.
                            "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

@ Chris: Thanks, mate!

@ Jimmy: Thank you too! That A7V was edited by Typhoon earlier - I only did a puny new paint job; I am glad you like it though

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika
                                another round of tweaks, i sleep now,
                                edit: now that i am awake,
                                the top 2 are an italian p40 heavy tank, and a soviet js-1,
                                the next 2 are soviet KV-85 and KV-2
                                The next 2 are su-76's one with a kv-1 turret and the other with a js-2 turret, i just thought they looked neat,
                                I was just thinking to ask Fairline to made a P 26/40 for my scenario, but I don't need to bother him anymore: yours is perfect. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X