No announcement yet.

Resolved THE PYRAMIDS are better then the GARDENS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out Slow Thinker's Early Landing game. He used Pyramids. He was very successful. His is an important game which should be more influential.

Comment

If you are not pro-Pyramids you are a happiness wimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Grigor
        Check out Slow Thinker's Early Landing game. He used Pyramids. He was very successful. His is an important game which should be more influential.
        You'll have to remind me which EL game Slow Thinker used the pyramids in. I seem to recall he went for a much larger empire than is usual. Wasn't he behind in the early game and then caught up in the later stages using the resources of his large empire?

Anyway if you can point me in the right direction, I'll have a look at it.

RJM at Sleeper's
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Slow Thinker's EL2 game:

Comment

In SP you may be right, but in MP HG is better. Getting to Repub and celebrating followed by some kick ass caravan deliveries give you the tech lead to grab SOL, change to communism and conquer the world.

In SP steady growth is probably better since it's easy to stay ahead of the AI, but in MP, the quicker the better. You opponents are not fools.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Grigor
              Slow Thinker's EL2 game:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=5
              I've had a look at his log and it is as you say a very different approach to EL, and manages a very early landing. (Interestingly, as far as the subject of this thread is concerned, he builds HG before pyramids.)

The early concentration on gold vs beakers certainly delays things - my recollection is that on that particular start, monarchy in 2250 BC is fairly easy compared with ST's 1650 BC. The use of Xining with disorder is another difference. This needs size 5 cities (mine often stay at size 2 for quite a while) and presumably that is why HG is built so early. And there is the emphasis on hapiness wonders, even to the extent of allowing someone else to build Colossus.

As you say, this game deserves to be more influential on EL, but it contains so many differences in approach that it's difficult to take a single lesson from it and graft it on to an existing style. (The other problem was that his game was posted just as the enthusiam for these comparison games was fading.)

I might try something along these lines and see what happens!

RJM at Sleeper's
              Last edited by rjmatsleepers; April 5, 2005, 02:13.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                a population of more small cities is better than same number of cities in a few cities:

1. growth rate is higher for small cities. (food box smaller)
                2. Easier to keep happy without entertainers (since martial law, temples, etc. can only hae a limited effect per city. I.e. only 3 warriors, only one temple, etc.)
                You realize, of course, that you've turned your "Pyramids are better" thread into an argument for small cities....

Comment

ST could reload just before building Pyr and build something else instead to see if Pyr had significant effect.
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                    ST could reload just before building Pyr and build something else instead to see if Pyr had significant effect.
                    If you can go back to a game played years ago and reload at any point, your hard drive is cluttered with even more old saves than mine is.

Perhaps we could borrow the Doctor's time machine. We could give it back before he lent it to us, so he'd never notice it was gone. I wonder if we could borrow Rose as well ...

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

i've always been a big pyramids fan, and what i do isn't exactly icsing...
                      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

I see TCO has always been among the kindest of all posters

Comment

a long, long time ago, I used to be temperate and kind.

Comment

I have found that having MC is a bit like having a cathedral in each city. But only a bit, it changes on huge maps.

Comment

Working...
                            X