The pikeman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pikeman...

The rules.txt file lists the pikeman bonus as "x2 vs horse." The bonus, it seems, functions as x1.5 defense. What triggers this bonus though, the unit slots that are originally horses, or something else?
    I've read that the bonus applies vs. any ground unit with 2 or more movement. I've also read that this bonus ONLY applies vs. units with exactly 2 movement. There is also mention of this bonus not applying at all (even if the unit is a "horse", or has 2 movement, or more than 2, or whatever rule truly applies) if the attacking unit has more than 1 HP. Another source also claims that this 1HP rule applies, but does not negate the bonus entirely, and that the bonus is only lessened vs. attackers with higher HP's.
    The bottom line, and my question is, what is the deal with the "pikeman bonus," when does it apply, when does it not, and how much benefit does it impart to the unit that has it?

Thanks,
    --
    Joe

The Great Library combat thread says:

x2 on defense versus horse (pikemen): This is actually a limited bonus, x1.5 if the attacker is a land unit with move=2, hp=1.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

The GL discussion thread on the topic of pikemen is interesting and well worth reading:

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001028.html

Comment

Good digging and thanks!

Merc, Leo should this go in "SL: Civ2 Creation Hints, Tips and Guides"? The question seems to come up with every generation of posters.
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I think people should probably just learn to find their way into the strategy forum and its Great Library.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Yeah, I suppose you're right. The wizardry of those dissectors does seem to be overlooked a lot.
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

We should include a link to it pinned at the top of this forum... It is overlooked because few people besides those who have been here for a while know about it....
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yes, you're right... I don't know how I can do that, though, or if that's even possible... Perhaps I could put some valuable links in the Welcome thread?

Comment

NOBODY reads the welcome thrad
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yes, that's another thought I had.

Comment

Working...
                    X