Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G2D graphics file format?

Slightly off-topic:

Has anyone heard of the file extension .g2d? My guess is it's a graphics or compressed file format, and if so, is there a converter or extractor utility available?
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Never heard of it.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I only see the term appear in relation to Java and it isn´t listed on Imagemagick´s format list. If it is a graphic fileformat it must be really obscure.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Where did you see the G2D?
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

In an RTS called Alexander by the makers of Cossacks (GSC Gameworld pub. by Ubisoft). I've attached a sample file; anything you computer boffins can do to let me peek inside at the sprites? I feel the need to change the graphics a bit

I only see the term appear in relation to Java and it isn´t listed on Imagemagick´s format list. If it is a graphic fileformat it must be really obscure
          That's all I got through a google search as well Cap, other than this reference to some software which doesn't seem relevant:

Could this file type be unique to GSC Gameworld?

Comment

I've had a look... It's probably proprietary. AFAIK, most games use their own special formats.

But there isn't a whole lot anyone can do with that file unless they know what it is supposed to represent. But figuring out a file format takes ages, unless it's something pre-existing (and I trust Paint Shop Pro that it isn't ).

In other words, thank you for giving us another reason to love Civ2.

Customisability
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I feel the need to change the graphics a bit
              It's good to know that you're incurable.

Does this help?
              - Теперь для иконок кланов можно использовать графику в формате "*.g2d" (раньше - только "*.g17").
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Translated:
                - It's now possible to use graphics in the *.g2d format for the icons of clans (formerly only *.g17)
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

?
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                  Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                  Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                    I've had a look... It's probably proprietary. AFAIK, most games use their own special formats.

But there isn't a whole lot anyone can do with that file unless they know what it is supposed to represent. But figuring out a file format takes ages, unless it's something pre-existing (and I trust Paint Shop Pro that it isn't ).

In other words, thank you for giving us another reason to love Civ2.

Customisability
                    Oh well, thanks anyway Merc. And yes, customisability is the beauty of civ...

Originally posted by Mercator
                    It's good to know that you're incurable.
                    There's no hope for me really

Does this help?
                    quote:
                    - Òåïåðü äëÿ èêîíîê êëàíîâ ìîæíî èñïîëüçîâàòü ãðàôèêó â ôîðìàòå "*.g2d" (ðàíüøå - òîëüêî "*.g17").
                    Translated:
                    - It's now possible to use graphics in the *.g2d format for the icons of clans (formerly only *.g17)
                    Strangely you're on the right track Boco The other file format used in Alexander is .g17 so this is clearly of some relevance. Now if I can just get Leo to translate the rest of the page that snippet comes from.

Second thoughts Boco, if you can just tell me where on that Russian page they refer to 'and here's the converter tool for our stupid .g2d file format' I'll be a happy man.

Comment

Originally posted by fairline
                      Strangely you're on the right track Boco The other file format used in Alexander is .g17 so this is clearly of some relevance. Now if I can just get Leo to translate the rest of the page that snippet comes from.

Second thoughts Boco, if you can just tell me where on that Russian page they refer to 'and here's the converter tool for our stupid .g2d file format' I'll be a happy man.
                      It's all yours (and our expatriate Latvian) at Game Navigator: Alexander patch v1.01, but I quoted the only direct reference to g2d on that page. Btw, did you learn Russian in school or is Latvian similar enough?
                      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

My mother's Russian, so I learned it at home. Latvian is rather different, being from an entirely different linguistic family that it shares with Lithuanian and the long-extinct Prussian.

Since I know you are so very curious, here is a breakdown of the instruction I received by grade:

Kindergarden - Russian
                        Grade 2 - Russian
                        Grade 3 - Russian
                        Grade 4 - Russian
                        Grade 3 - Latvian
                        Grade 4 - Latvian
                        Grade 7 - English
                        Grade 8 - English
                        Grade 13 - English
                        University - English
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Boco - cheers for the info. I'm surprised they are patching the game; there is little or no info on GSC's English site and they seem to be ignoring this title.

Leo: School life must have been terribly confusing with three changes of language. That and having to retake Grades 3 and 4 and missing out 5 and 6

Comment

Working...
                          X