Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An epic MAFIA scenario

Hi guys!

I've been fondling with the idea of making an empire building style scenario about the rise of the Sicilian Mafia (La Cosa Nostra) in New York/America in 20th century. It will have everything from ordinary hoods, made men to capos and dons. Assassinations and various illegal activities. And maybe a mob war or two (go to the mattresses). The goal - To expand your criminal empire

You'll be able to control one of the five New York families (the Bonanno family, the Colombo family, the Gambino family, the Genovese family, the Lucchese family). Eventually the feds will also play its role as an annoyance factor. The barbarians could maybe be various Labor Unions to be infiltrated. Smiley's city terrains should be perfect for a New York Map.

I havn't yet figured out how all the organized crime factors can be adopted into the civ engine, but that's why I post my ideas here. I would need help to work out cunning and innovative ideas. Gold Gulch by Harry Tuttle will of course be a major inspiration.

So tell me what you think and if it's feasable at all. Some Fairline mobsters units would obviously be fantastic

Cheers, guys!
    Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

you can use my cars and trucks i posted in the speculative graphics thread
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Will this be for SP or MP?

If it is for SP, the Gold Gulch approach can only be used up to a point. The problem is that in GG SP the AI can either be prevented from building additional saloons or it does not do it.

You may be able to do it if you have 7 civs, the 5 families, New York (at war with all 5) and a federal agency such as the FBI. The families start out with one stronghold each. New York has many . . . City Hall, Wall Street, Docks, shopping Districts, Police Stations, Boroughs, Suburbs etc. FBI units are generated by events (assume that they have to come from Washington).

Freights would be drug, booze, illegal alien etc shipments. You might even be able to work in a version of the Ju-52's in your Norwegian Campaign.

This looks like it has some interesting possibilities.
      Last edited by AGRICOLA; January 11, 2005, 16:15.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

what year will it take place in?
        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Great idea

My suggestion would be to make the map a large city scenescape with streets, buildings, skyscrapers, etc.

Plus, there was a gangster scenario done some time ago (in French) that had some pretty cool units and cars. It may be worth checking it out....

Comment

Sounds fun. You should be aware there are a couple of others out there. Darth Veda did one, based in a fictional city, using SimCity-type graphics. Cam Hills also did one, based on a map of the US, the idea being the control of Chicago. And of course, you should have a look at St. Leo's Roman Riots, just 'cause it's set in a city and it's pretty. All are still available on one or another of the main scenario sites.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Oh, and Mercator's site has a couple of NYC maps: http://www.civgaming.net/mercator/

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

@AGRICOLA:
                I intend for it to work out in both SP and MP. Those ideas of yours were about what I've figured out as well up to now. I guess it's tre what they say, great minds do think alike

What was that about the air transporter?

Keep the suggestions coming. I need all the help I can get, beeing the lazy arse that I've become .

@Leonidas:
                Thanks! I'd love to know which scenario that is and where it could be found

@Broken_Erica:
                I was thinking something like the 30s, when the Commission was first founded.

@techumseh:
                Thanks for that. I've had Gang Wars since it first came out and will look to this for inspiration from time to time. The other I've never heard of...Thanks for filling me in Would anyone know specifically where these can be found?

Those NYC maps should do the biz. If not, I'll make one myself.

@Fairline if you're lurking!
                If you like the idea I would love to get in a "marriage" with you for this one

...or anyone else that can contribute or that matter. The way I reckon it, I'd need some mafiosos and some 30s styled drive by cars or something (inf and cavalry). Same with the Feds, "inf" and "cav". Some civilians maybe. And some (barbarian controlled?) NYC cops? Which could be bribed by some special diplo units. I don't know, what would I need?

Maybe smiley would like to custom make some of those city terrains of his as well

I know I ask much, but everything that can ease up my work is extremely apreciated. I don't want this to be an idea that gets shoveled in the end.

In the mean time, arrivideci!
                Last edited by Eivind IV; January 11, 2005, 20:43.

Comment

Kobra:

The scenario I spoke about is called coincidentally "Mafia"

It's located here (scroll down - it's mislabelled as "Marfia")

Some of the city buildings look dated, but some of the units might be useful.

Comment

Cool! If you need any help, just holler.

What was the name of that Roman Riot scenario made a few years back? The one where you fought in city streets? Could be useful.

Comment

Ju-52 = subway, taxi ??? A way of moving units very quickly. Useful for hit squads, drug runs? Can you cram more than one unit into it? Alternately, the subway and elevated system could be represented by RR's.

I think that police have to be NYC units rather than Barbs. Otherwise, who will defend the city?
                      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobra
                        @Fairline if you're lurking!
                        If you like the idea I would love to get in a "marriage" with you for this one
                        Best offer I've had since I was divorced

I'll have a go as this sounds interesting. But.... I've got a lot of stuff I owe other people and I haven't drawn anything for some time. Prepare for a long wait before our marriage is consummated Eivind. Ahem, metaphorically speaking of course
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I'm sure this union will be blessed with many fine looking offspring!

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Just to show I mean the business, here's 3 hours worth of work: A 30s NYC Taxi

@Leonidas:
                            Then it shouldn't be a problem for me to name this "Mafia" That french scen is quite neat, although I don't understand a word

@Harry:
                            That Roman riot scen is marvellous looking. It looks almost the same as Caesar 3, where the graphics are ripped from. Truly an inspiration.

@Agricola:
                            Nice to have you around! Good point!

@Fairline:
                            Ah, your words are truly promising though How long a wait do you reckon it'll be? You know in Vegas you can be married in a matter of minutes
                            Last edited by Eivind IV; January 12, 2005, 11:02.

Comment

More NYC stuff. NYPD car

Now doesn't these works of art inspire you, Gareth, to make me some mobsters and feds as your dowry?

Comment

Working...
                              X