Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario Design help

Hello..

I've been developing a small scenario for myself, just for fun... Its sort of a development/ blank slate scenario based on the LotR map with some time-period units and such.. All humans.. Anyways, I must have some problem with my custom files in the scenario, because it won't load up with any of the files, even just terrain1.gif, etc.

This is a lot to ask, but could someone please give at least a cursory glance to my files, or try them out on your version of civ or something to see if you can find the bug?

It was made by editing the text files only, no editor involved.

Thanks a million

If no errors are found, I'll attach the other files, but I think it lies in rules.txt

Comment

When I tried to download, I got the whole RULES file as a single, unstructured paragraph. As I doubt that anyone is interested in restoring the line by line structure to what it is in a RULES file, could you reattach the whole RULES file so that readers get not only the text but also the structure.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

You have to zip text files.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

If you want a quick look, just open it in Excel using commas, semi-colons, and tabs as delimiters.

Edit
          It's exporting it out of Excel to a text file that gets awfully tricky.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I've never had any problems with downloading text files here, and I'm seeing this one just fine as well, newlines and all.

Ah... a quick glance also reveals the problems... The 2/3-letter abbreviations used for technologies are hard-coded! You can NOT change them... Well, you can, but then Civ2 can't make any sense of them anymore, as you just noticed. You have to use the existing abbreviations.

Remember, everything following a semi-colon is a COMMENT. That also includes the tech abbreviations at the end of each technology line. They're just there to inform you which is which.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I still don't understand how you folks manage to download the file. When I double click on it and skip or wait to go through the Poly adware, I don't get the usual File Download popup. What I get is the text of the file as a single paragraph in what looks like MS Word.

Comment

That's probably because you've got Internet Explorer set up as using a Word IE plug-in to load text files by default. I have no idea how you can change that... Use Firefox.

Instead of clicking the "skip" link, try right-clicking it and choose "Save Target As..."
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I agree with Mercartor, if you download the file you will be able to open it without problem, even on Notepad.
                  Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Suming up, Firefox is superior

Seriously, though (Hey! I was being serious!), try what Merc suggested, right click -> save as, that should do the trick.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Thanks!

Right clicking "Skip" did the trick. The file downloaded as a Notepad file. I've seen better column alignment but otherwise it looks OK.

I tried but couldn't find any other unzipped .txt files on the forum to see if there was the same problem.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try that....

be back soon with results..

Iane

Comment

Working...
                        X