No announcement yet.

Empire of the Rising Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another book I would recommend are the memiors of the infamous Colonel Masanobu Tsuji.

Comment

• @Typhoon: My library says they don't have a book by that name. Is that actually what it's called, or does it have a different title, and if so, what?

Comment

• It's been published under a myriad of titles, first in 1954 as 'Singapore: The Japanese Story' or more recently as 'Japan's Greatest Victory/ Britain's Greatest Defeat.' While focusing mostly on the Malaya campaign, it does contain a lot of information of Japanese war planning in China and elsewhere.

Comment

• Typhoon: You seem to be the graphics man here - I noticed that the zip Patine posted has what look suspiciously like darkened versions of my unit icons. I'm guessing this is a consequence of the png beta correction problem with IE mentioned first by Catfish. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you the unadulterated originals
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

• @typhoon: Thanks for the possible titles. I'll check my library under those. Is Col. Masanobu the stated author of the book, or is there a different credited writer?

Comment

• @ fairline

I'm not the graphics man, Jimmy is. Here is the lightened units.bmp, which I have tried correcting with some of your units. If Patine and yourself could kindly take a look, and change whatever needs changing, we'd all be very grateful.

@ Patine

Yes, he is the author.

Comment

• Uhm, typhoon, sorry to break it to you, but there's no units.bmp file there.

Comment

• Patine:

A few more suggestions:

1) In certain locations perhaps have oil in abundance (such as in the Dutch East Indies, etc). In addition to the gold the Jap player could obtain by capturing those cities, he can also gain oil (in the form of shields) to produce more units. If this oil resource is mined, it will yield even more shields...

2) In addition to the "oil" resource, you could also have "tin", "gold", "iron", etc... that would make it doubly attractive for the Jap player to secure certain areas...

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonidas
                    Patine:

A few more suggestions:

1) In certain locations perhaps have oil in abundance (such as in the Dutch East Indies, etc). In addition to the gold the Jap player could obtain by capturing those cities, he can also gain oil (in the form of shields) to produce more units. If this oil resource is mined, it will yield even more shields...

2) In addition to the "oil" resource, you could also have "tin", "gold", "iron", etc... that would make it doubly attractive for the Jap player to secure certain areas...
                    Rubber as well..

They could also produce more trade rather than most shields, giving the japanese more money to buy stuff, and also making trade routes between those cities and the japanese mainland more lucrative in terms of trade per turn that the route gives.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r

Rubber as well..

They could also produce more trade rather than most shields, giving the japanese more money to buy stuff, and also making trade routes between those cities and the japanese mainland more lucrative in terms of trade per turn that the route gives.
                      I agree.

Commodities such as rubber, tin, gold could yield more trade.

These areas would be worth fighting over and developing...

Of course, these would also be areas that the allies would be trying to re-take, to shut down the Japanese economy ...

Comment

• Originally posted by typhoon
                        @ fairline

Here is the lightened units.bmp, which I have tried correcting with some of your units.
                        Please don't Whoever put it together has used MGE versions of the 25-pdr and Pack 75, and darkened versions of the rest (my fault I guess; I originally posted these as a png which led to the problem in the first place. Mind you, it had been replaced within a day....)

Here are the correct brightness/contrast originals. I really want whoever is in charge of the unit graphics file to replace the darkened/MGE versions with these.
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

• I agree with the resources idea, save that it gets kind of tricky when you can't place resources yourself. However, I can give it a go. Does anyone, perchance, have good rubber and tin resource graphics?

Comment

• I agree with the resources idea, save that it gets kind of tricky when you can't place resources yourself. However, I can give it a go.
                            I think that you can do it quite easily. Your scen will probably not need the glacier and tundra terrain slots. Use them for resources. You could have resource type terrains labelled oil or tin or whatever, producing any desired number of shields and trade arrows, that you can place around selected cities. There is no need to try to work with the CIV2 resource squares.

If you have to boost trade bonuses, check with Kobra as to how he does it in Blitzkrieg 36. Payoffs in the 3000 (non-demand) to 6000+ (demand) range are common when Asian (Japanese) freights arrive in New York (disarmed but deliberately left in hostile American hands). Your numbers would likely be quite a bit lower because both the home and delivery cities are Japanese and the Japanese will have discovered Flight.

In addition, you may be able have certain resource rich cities generate cash every month as long as Japan holds them. I know that Techumseh can do it in TOT, I don't know if it is possible in MGE.
                            Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                            Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• Originally posted by AGRICOLA
                              In addition, you may be able have certain resource rich cities generate cash every month as long as Japan holds them. I know that Techumseh can do it in TOT, I don't know if it is possible in MGE.
                              Am I missing something, or are you describing the effects of capitalization in a high shield city? Yes, yes, switch to ToT and take advantage of its unique benefits!
                              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

• Originally posted by Patine
                                I agree with the resources idea, save that it gets kind of tricky when you can't place resources yourself. However, I can give it a go. Does anyone, perchance, have good rubber and tin resource graphics?
                                I would suggest having a look at Harlan's Pacific scenario again. He has done the resource thing and has those graphics in his terrain1.gif as well as in Rules.txt.

Comment

Working...
                                X