No announcement yet.

Empire of the Rising Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The large role played by Japanese shipping losses in the eventual outcome of the war cannot be argued. To have any chance at all. a player should be forced to try to get freights back to Japan. There may be a way that events and the right units could duplicate the historic perils of the voyage home.

For this to work, most of the following conditions would need to be satisfied:

1. Freights cannot be built. They are created by events in SE Asian cities and are highly lucrative if delivered to Japan. This would be exactly what Captain Nemo does in Red Front 1.4 .

2. The only cities that freights can be delivered to are ones in Japan. If necessary, make this a house rule.

3. There cannot be a land route from Malaysia to northern China and then a short sea voyage to Japan. If a land route cannot be avoided, eliminate RR's and make freights Mv = 1 so that it takes forever to move them by land.

4. Japanese aircraft cannot be stacked with ships. Also, no chaining of freighters, but give them enough range so that they can get to Japan in 2 or 3 turns (months).

However, I am not at all certain if AI controlled US subs by themselves are adequate to seriously damage a convoy system set up by a good player because there are ways to use aircraft to protect a convoy without stacking with aircraft. Also, AI controlled subs themselves tend to stack and/or cluster, thus reducing their area coverage.

I would suggest trying the following:

1. Introduce two Mv=1 naval units, Torpedo 1 and Torpedo 2, and make them both without a visible icon (i.e. almost impossible to detect, even with the CHEAT mode). This idea is based on what Captain Nemo did in his Normandy scen where he had 2 units with the following specs.

Floating Mines, nil, 2, 0.,0,10a,80d, 9h,9f, 8,0, 2, no, 000000000000000 (Visible)
    Beach mines, nil, 2, 1.,0, 8a,6d, 1h,2f, 1,0, 2, no, 001100000000000 (Invisible)

I would make them both invisible and change the Floating Mine Mv=0 to Mv=1. I'm hoping that with Mv=1, these units will not wander too far away from where they are spawned.

2. The one is strong enough to sink any any Japanese ship. Make the other strong enough to only damage a
    vessel some of the time. Players would have some interesting choices in how to cope with these units. They could perhaps try to use low cost aircraft or ships to explode any mines/torpedoes in the path of a convoy. Also, they would have the problem of dealing with damaged ships that slow down the convoy.

3. Give freighters A>0 so that there is not the usual warning popup about an A=0 unit attacking another unit. Consequently, Japanese freighters could be sunk both during the AI's and players' turns. Surprise!

I don't suppose there is any way to get a popup "Submarine Torpedo Attack!!" whenever one of the US torpedo units either attacks or is attacked.

4. Spawn the units every turn, using TOT's ability to spawn multiple units at random locations, especially choke points such as the Formose Strait. As long as more are spawned than destroyed, there should be a gradual increase in the difficulty of getting convoys to Japan and in moving the freighters back south.

5. Give some consideration to making ocean terrain stackable so that a whole convoy is not sunk by a single torpedo attack.

Together with an appropriate number and distribution of US subs and other naval and air units, the above should make an interesting gauntlet for players
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• AGRICOLA:

Very valuable and interesting ideas

Comment

• I agree. I just hope I can get it all to work. Thanks a lot, AGRICOLA!

Comment

• Sorry. Asked a dumb question without fully reading AGRICOLA's post. Never mind. Deleted
          Last edited by Patine; February 18, 2005, 01:09.

Comment

• From my experience, the AI goes all-out with subs, as long as it is the usual sub slot.

I have noticed that the AI is fixated on churning out U-boats and attacking everything with them...!

Just a musing!
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

• that should prove useful if the AI plays as the US, will make the japanese player have to dedicate a part of their navy to sub-hunting, at least that's something the AI does right,
              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Just a few additional comments/suggestions:

* It should be rememberd that the Japanese had about 6 months to one year to "run wild" in the Pacific without too much opposition.

* If the convoy system proves to be a bit too complicated, then just setup the convoy system for the Jap player so it makes runs to the Jap mainland, and then simply have US subs spawn near/along the route of the convoy ships. There should be a few US subs at the beginning of the scenario (scattered throughout the Pacific, but mainly at PI and Hawaii). Then as the scenario progresses, progressively have more and more subs be spawned/built.

* 2 or 3 US infantry units should appear in Australia on random dates in the latter half of 1942. This was done to historically help safeguard Australia.

* US pressure/forces should increase gradually (as it was done historically) against the Japanese player by late 1942 and then into 1943 and beyond. More and more BBs, CAs, subs, planes (especially the long-range B-29 and fighters), marines, arty, etc... should make their appearance...

* Historically, the Allies sent aid to China along the Burmese Road. If possible perhaps have a well guarded city located on the "Burmese Road". If this city is captured by the Japanese then this aid (in the form of gold and fighters) to China will stop. If it is re-captured by the Allies, aid will once again flow through to China.

Cheers!
                Last edited by Leonidas; February 18, 2005, 17:54.

Comment

• Patine:

Here is an invaluable resource.

This will be valuable for checking on monthly activities in the Pacific War and for gathering info for any events you might need to use.

This is the United States Naval Chronology of World War II and has been complied in the Naval History Division of the office of Naval Operations, Navy Department, as a reference volume for official and general use. The starting point is September 1, 1939, the date marking the opening of World War II hostilities.

Find it here:

Comment

• Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I've got to reread everything on this thread (all twelve pages worth) to get my events files straight (and to give proper credit to everyone who gave ideas, for the right ideas to their sources {Yoda talk there, I know. Please forgive that}). I'll start the first file tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going to read the thread and refer to all the macrolanguage terms in the ToT manual.

Comment

• Thanks a lot for the link, Leonidas!

Comment

• Okay, here's the units.bmp as it will be used for the beta. If anyone has any final comments, feel free to send them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patine
                          Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I've got to reread everything on this thread (all twelve pages worth) to get my events files straight (and to give proper credit to everyone who gave ideas, for the right ideas to their sources {Yoda talk there, I know. Please forgive that}). I'll start the first file tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going to read the thread and refer to all the macrolanguage terms in the ToT manual.
                          There's a lot here to digest.

Take your time - there is no rush.

This is a big scenario and is going to require lots of time and effort...

Comment

• I have some comments about your units but, before posting, it would be helpful to know how many unit slots will be available in TOT.
                            Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                            Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• I notaced a few bugs but nothing major, just some clipping issues, i guess you didn't select the entire unit on some, like i said nothing makor
                              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• The units are looking very good.

One minor point:

The Yamato looks quite small. Is there another unit graphic of the Yamato that looks bigger?

Comment

Working...
                                X