Non-graphics mods for TOT Red Front Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CapTVK
    Does that mean you can't use barbarians at all if you use changeterrain? Or should you simply be careful about letting barbarians near a change terrain field?
    First of all: the barb need to have a city somewhere on the map, otherwise I believe that a changeterrain will remove all the barb units on the map. (noit 100% sure, though)

When the barb have a city, I think that it depends on the unit slot used for the barbarian units: some are more "stable" than others. For instance, whenever a changeterrain occurs anywhere on the map, some barb units disappear, and some others survive!

I had many problems trying to fix that in my Disxworld scen, and in the end had to renounce using barb units (as I use many changeterrain).

The "barb unit" stability is not really well documented, and so I can't tell you which unit behaves better than others.

If you want to see the answers I got when I asked questions about that, check here: (don't stop after the first few posts, the question comes again after the 13.10.2003)

As you'll see, there was no definite answer about which slot works, and I had to use another civ...

But if you can find fine working slots, I would be more than interested!
    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

• Okay, lets see if I can address some of the things that have been posted.

Originally posted by fairline
      We do I'm replaying currently and it happened Oct 41 IIRC
      Okay, I will have a go at getting rid of some things. I figured ToT might be able to handle more units at once.

Originally posted by CapTVK
      Well, my ToT has been reinstalled, patched up and ready to go! Only thing still missing is Catfish's Civ2 UI/Graphic mod.
      Where do I sign up?
      I think you just did!

Originally posted by Catfish
      That paragraph in the batch file screenshot was written by me. It has nothing to do with animated unit lockout. It has everything to do with hiding the health bar for several units. The units in question change 4 times during the scenario - hence there are 5 static.spr files. The message is there because sprites will not be "refreshed" until the user quits to the main menu.
      Oohhh hiding health bars. Nice. We need to do that on a few more units as well. I dont really understand this animation aspect of ToT yet, but I hope I can figure it out.

I will take the discussion of the ghost turn over to its other thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyrion

The "barb unit" stability is not really well documented, and so I can't tell you which unit behaves better than others.

If you want to see the answers I got when I asked questions about that, check here: (don't stop after the first few posts, the question comes again after the 13.10.2003)

As you'll see, there was no definite answer about which slot works, and I had to use another civ...

But if you can find fine working slots, I would be more than interested!
        There's some high level civ design going on at that thread there. So barbarian units only work well within certain slots? It would explain how barbs operate ingame. (e.a the way that barb ships can unload multiple loads of units)

Still, the fact that changeterrain can make barbs (partizans) "dissappear" could work in RF Redux. It could be used for cleaning the map of partizans in one fell sweep. If it truly works in that way.
        Last edited by CapTVK; December 11, 2004, 19:15.
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercator
          I knew that. I just didn't quite realise it had to do with switching the unit graphics. I've never played RF.
          Although I quoted you, the comments were also directed at those working on the scenario.

Originally posted by Mercator
          I was afraid of that. I'll see if I can figure it out.
          Taking a look at it now, I strongly suspect WK's referring to the 2 bytes that immediately precede the scenario name string at the end of the .scn/.sav file. I'm already aware of those. These settings are automatically enabled by CivConverter and their lockout effects are as described in the first link you posted.

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
          Oohhh hiding health bars. Nice. We need to do that on a few more units as well.
          Of the current crop of units (I figure you're gonna add more later), I don't really see where there's a need.
          Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

• Originally posted by Catfish
            Of the current crop of units (I figure you're gonna add more later), I don't really see where there's a need.
            The Rivermines and Floating Mines have their health bars still visable. Thats all I can think of for whats ingame now...

Comment

• Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
              The Rivermines and Floating Mines have their health bars still visable. Thats all I can think of for whats ingame now...
              From ToT_Changes.txt:

* Hid Floating Mines, Pontoon Bridge, Stalin Line, Fortified Battery, Village and Rubble health bars using SpriteGen. There are 5 static.spr files, implemented via redfront.bat.
              * Replaced River Mines icon with Floating Mines icon and gave it the Invisible Until Attack flag.

Therefore, although the health bar for River Mines is visible, the unit is hidden by another means.

On the suspicion that you unwittingly *cough* enabled the .SPR file override in the Scenario Parameters menu, you should be aware that doing so will block the static.spr file.
              Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

• In view of the renewed discussion about the RF TOT Redux, I think that it is worth bringing this old thread forward.
                Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• just to see your ideas about a new version of redfront...

Comment

Working...
                  X