Skinnydipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I don't have a VB method.
    In MapEdit I simply let people browse for it, and in my other apps I don't use it at all.

AFAIK, VB6 doesn't have any built-in routines for handling the registry, I believe. The only methods it has for the registry are for loading/saving program settings. They're always saved in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Whatever_the_name_of_your_app_is

I never bothered trying to implement proper registry methods (using C++ libraries or so).

As for the two other registry keys. I don't have the first one (I haven't done any ToT multiplaying since the last Windows re-install).

I do have the second one. However, I manually changed these and moved the uninstall logs into my ToT directory.
    The uninstall "log" files were originally put in the default install directory (C:\Program Files\Hasbro Interactive Inc.\Test of Time\ or something), even though that wasn't actually my ToT folder. This might have been the case because I installed ToT on a different drive (and the installer somehow didn't manage to move the log files along to a different drive)... It might be the case that if you installed ToT on the same drive, but in a custom directory, the logs ARE put in the actual ToT folder, I don't know.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
      Curt, did you actually perform an install of that ToT version? (rather than just copying the game from the cd) and that you didn't reinstall windows after that?
      I merely did not use the default MPS folder - Apart from that, my PC setup is entirely normal.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

But the game should write a reg. key with the actual path you install it in, AFAIK.... Well, in any case, if the autodetect fails and you have to do it by hand, it's not like you wouldn't have needed to do it anyway...
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Rather than a slooooow search of the entire registry for Test of Time, I opted for a quicker search for a specific entry. Global searches by the means I've used aren't much faster than manually entering a path.

One thing I noticed, Catfish, was that it looks like the 1.1 patch puts in the entry you mentioned. I only just installed the patch yesterday on my coding PC at home. In my code, I'll search for both, try to eliminate any paths to MGE that might pop up, and ultimately leave a text box for the user to manually override any path that the code finds.

So N35t0r, I think there is an entry specific for ToT, but it might not be the same handle for all PC's and/or ToT versions. It appears that the ToT patch may overwrite the MGE entry with a ToT one. My guess is that Catfish's handle will work for most if not all. However, if some original thinker tries the upcoming version on a machine with MGE but not patched ToT, the code will accurately point to MGE. Maybe I should pop up a msgbox suggesting the patch at that point?

Merc, I swiped some public domain vb functions to search for registry handles. They worked well without adaptation in VBA-Excel.

However, I manually changed these and moved the uninstall logs into my ToT directory.
          Gotta make things tougher for me! Oh well, I'll try to come up with something that works some of the time, but allows a user override for the rest. Also need to put in some error traps.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Bumping - Due to sheer coolness of the utility!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X