Making New Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making New Rivers

I posted a thread about this a long time ago, but it seems to have dropped off the forum. The question is, how do you create rivers in an extant scenario without editing the source map and starting over? I specifically remember that there is a way? Could someone please help me?

One way is to hexedit the saved game. I did it for Colwyn's Red Front 1.5 .

E-mail me the game save and instructions as to where you want rivers, and I'll get it back to you ASAP . . . . . if I can tear myself away from Market Garden.

Seriously, it does not take long to do it.
    Last edited by AGRICOLA; October 7, 2004, 07:34.
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Alright, but just so you know, this scen is meant to be a redux (well, a complete overhaul, actually) based on that WWII scen that comes with base vanilla civ.

Anyway, I need a river at the following locations (on the land mass in the corner meant to be the eastern edge of Canada): 0,8 - 1,9 - 2,10 - 2,12 - 3,11 - and 3,9. While you're at it, could you please free up the 'lost' Wonders so I can rebuild them? Thanks a lot!
      Attached Files

Comment

Got it.

Comment

Six new river squares, no wonders lost or built, cheat flags removed.

Good luck with redux.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot, AGRICOLA!

Comment

Irrelevant now, but there's also this thread in the tips subforum:
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

The following quotes are from the Gold Gulch thread.

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle

Well I could, but as I understand it, you can only hex edit a tile one at a time. I don't know anyone who's up to that, even if it's just for that Eastern corridor.
                Originally posted by Mercator

MapCopy can do that quite easily.

Does this mean that Patine's saved game could have been:

1. Loaded by Civ2Map.
                2. Six squares changed to have rivers, a trivial matter.
                3. The resultant map saved as a .mp file.
                4. Map Copy used to transfer the .mp file into the original save.

or, alternately

1. Loaded by Civ2Map.
                2. Six squares changed to have rivers.
                3. The resultant map saved as a .mp file.
                4. The .mp used to start a new game which is then saved.
                5. Map Copy used to transfer the new save terrain data into Patine's save.

That certainly would do away with most of the hexediting that he needed as well as speed up the fix.
                Last edited by AGRICOLA; October 13, 2004, 17:37.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
                  Does this mean that Patine's saved game could have been...
                  Yes to both (although I'm not sure why you'd bother with the second method) – you'd be using the terrain(+t) option (turned on by default with MP->SAV). Unless I was adding scores of river tiles, hex-editing, at least for me anyway, is still the fastest method. I simply plug my map coordinates into a spreadsheet which spits out the map data offsets. BTW, MapCopy doesn't work with ToT, so in my case I'd also have to temporarily host the map data in a FW/MGE .sav file (requiring hex editing anyway) in order to run it.

Edit: Fixed my comment about MapCopy - next time I'll actually try it out, instead of talking out of my arse. Sorry, but I hadn't used MapCopy since the beginning of the year.
                  Last edited by Catfish; October 14, 2004, 01:59.
                  Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Thank you for the explanation.

The second, lengthier procedure was included in case MapCopy only works between .sav files and not .mp to .sav.

Comment

Say, could someone send please me a copy of the Hex Editing Workshop software and that nifty manual (I can't remember who either are by, but I had them before my computer crashed recently) so I can take care of many of these issues myself next time?

Comment

Is this the one you want?

Hex Workshop v4.10, the Professional Hex Editor
                        Copyright 1995-2003 BreakPoint Software, Inc.
                        32 bit version - hw32v410.exe

Which handy manual? The compilation by Allard Hofelt/Mercator?

Comment

That's the hex editor I was referring to, yes. I can't remember the manual's author I had, but, given his exemplary work on Civ2 mechanics, I'll gladly accept any that Mercator was part of. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish
                            BTW, MapCopy doesn't work with ToT, so in my case I'd also have to temporarily host the map data in a FW/MGE .sav file (requiring hex editing anyway) in order to run it.
                            I tried editing the MapCopy source code to also work with ToT a while ago. It would also support multi-map games, though MapCopy would only be able to edit the first map (adding full multi-map support would be a little too tricky for my non-existant C++ skills).

I never got it to compile though. I meant to e-mail Dusty about it, but I never did...

Patine, you'll find most of that "manual" in the tips subforum. The "Everything on Hex Editing" threads and my pitifull start on the "Civilization II SAV/SCN file format" thread. I wouldn't dare to take half the credit though, Captain Nemo, Gothmog, Harlan, Panda, Xin Yu and yaroslav, to name a few, deserve at least as much credit as me.
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Thanks a lot Mercator. I'll check that out right away.

Comment

Working...
                              X