Howdy! New!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy! New!

Hey guys, I'm a long time player of Civ2 (Got it the day it came out), and I have been playing off and on ever since.

My main thing is just to setup scenarios, Like the current korean crisis, korean war, taiwan war, etc etc

But i've been wondering, is there a reason why my game doesn't run when I try to modify the imagine document that holds the units?

I can modify the text issue, no problem.

Thanks

Dusty McGuire

The game should run OK with a modified units.gif (I assume that's the file you meant). You need to make sure it is saved in the correct format. Also I think there can be problems if the new unit graphic is not placed in exactly the right position. However, you will find the people in the scenario forum are much more knowledgable about graphics, so it's worth asking your question there.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

its saved in GIF format? That isn't an issue. I've tried to do that, same GIF file, same color schemes, and everything is aligned, but to no avail.

Comment

Welcome!

First of all, what version of Civ2 do you have? You can find it in the title of the Game Options window, which you can access through the Game menu.

If you're saving in GIF format, you have to make sure it is GIF 87a non-interlaced. If you're using something as simple as MS Paint, you won't be able to choose that. Otherwise, you should be able to find this in the options on the file save dialog.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

2.42 8-October of '96

Hmmmm, never thought of that. I have tried to look for your Gif 87a non-interlaced, but can't find that specification on microsoft photo editor nor paint.

Hmmmm.

Any suggestions?

Dusty

Comment

Ah... Those programs aren't particularly suited for image editing.

You could try a demo of Paint Shop Pro (http://www.jasc.com). Or try the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) which is free, but rather more daunting, IMHO. I don't really know about any others.

I'm sure there must be some rather more simple (and free) programs that can work with GIF 87a too. Or maybe there are simple converters that can "fix' your GIFs into the right format.

Let me see...
            This program seems to be able to save as GIF87a:

If the program itself isn't too good, you might still use MS Photo Editor/Paint first, and then convert with LView.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I think the game runs OK if the files are in bmp format?

Ah, but it's larger, right,
              I paint with paint-brush and I do not really like to change it to gif format (which I sometimes have to do to post an image at a forum), because colours change then.
              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

Bitmaps don't work with 2.42. They only work with Fantastic Worlds and up.

Comment

oh, perhaps... It is such a long time since my sister bought FW for me...
                  Thanks for info
                  Middle East!

Comment

You may try irfanview to convert graphic file formats. It's free and useful when wanting to do some save as.
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

,irfanview?
                      I used to have a special program for converting files, but I don't even know what was the name of it - it doesn't work in upper versions of Windows.
                      Now I just use Windows I have.
                      Middle East!

Comment

I tried that LView 3.1 app, XP said it couldn't run because it was trying to create a temporary file on a directory that didn't exist.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I suppose it's a little too old for XP then. It's probably a Win3.1 application. It worked fine on my Win98, though. But I suppose that makes IrfanView a better option.

Comment

Working...
                          X