King David Of Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King David Of Israel

When David conquered Jerusalem around 1005 BC, he was a minor king subject to the Philistines. Israel`s first king Saul had been crushed at Gilboa by the Philistines, who resumed their customary dominance over the country. Instead of garrisoning the Hebrew towns they now preferred a policy of divide and rule.
    At Saul`s death Israel was split into tribal groups, Saul`s son Ish-Baal ruled most of the Eastern tribes and David in the hill country of the South. At this point David was still a retainer of the Philistines, he proved far to ambitious and capable to remain anyones vassal.
    At the death of Ish-Baal, all the tribes of Israel annointed David as king. Under his leadership Israel flourished briefly as a major military power. Its rapid growth from the shattered kingdom left by Saul into an empire dominating the whole of Syro-Palestine was remarkable.
    Feel free to comment.

Final version uploaded with sound #2 adjusted Oct. 6th

Last edited by beingofone; October 7, 2004, 02:16.
    You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
    We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Sound #1sound#1
    You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
    We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

sound#2

Last edited by beingofone; October 7, 2004, 02:17.

Comment

It looks like it's worth a try. I like the period, and the civs are interesting. The sounds are great. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Combine your text files into one Readme file. Put the installation instructions there.

2. The artwork is inconsistent. Some very good units, mixed with some bad. Try for consistency of style, even at the cost of standardizing the poses. A good bet is to take Erwan's units and modify the uniforms and equipment.

3. The map could use a bit more variation in the terrain, eg. break up the hills a bit. Try adding a valley or two. Or maybe there were some other types of terrain that you could make from the glacier and tundra slots.

Some questions:

1. Why does the scenario start with the conquest of Jerusalem? Was it David's first battle?

2. How do you simulate Egypt? I assume that the huge Sinai desert is there for a reason?

3. Is this the same period as the battle of Jericho?
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

@Tecumseh:
          the one thing I can say: this isn't the same period of battle of Jericho (I think you mean when walls crashed at the sounds of Israel's 'trumpets' ): that was the Joshua's (or written in another way, in Italian we call him Giosuè) period, a pair of cenurie before, IIRC...
          "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh It looks like it's worth a try. I like the period, and the civs are interesting. The sounds are great. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Combine your text files into one Readme file. Put the installation instructions there.
            Thank you Techumseh for the comments and compliments. You are right I should add install instructions. There is a folder for the history, you can play the scenario without reading.

2. The artwork is inconsistent. Some very good units, mixed with some bad. Try for consistency of style, even at the cost of standardizing the poses. A good bet is to take Erwan's units and modify the uniforms and equipment.
            I am not happy with the unit artwork either. I shall pursue better artwork.The challenge is where do you find an Ammonite, Moabite etc. unit? I am not very good with artwok, so I have to rely on others work.

3. The map could use a bit more variation in the terrain, eg. break up the hills a bit. Try adding a valley or two. Or maybe there were some other types of terrain that you could make from the glacier and tundra slots.
            The terrain in Palestine is arid and lots of hills and mountains.
            I used a dozen or so topographical and satellite maps. I also used several wargame maps. I chose realistic terrain rather than playability. I fudged in a couple of places for irrigation but that is all. Maybe it was a mistake but I prefer a simulation over a generic game.

1. Why does the scenario start with the conquest of Jerusalem? Was it David's first battle?
            It is complicated. If I had started the scenario before David had Jerusalem then Israel would have to be three civ`s. When he took this city in 1005 BC it began to unite the Hebrews.

2. How do you simulate Egypt? I assume that the huge Sinai desert is there for a reason?
            Egypt was not involved in Palestine at this time except thru negotiations. I thought about making them barbarians but the sand was easier.

3. Is this the same period as the battle of Jericho?
            400 years later.

Comment

I was kinda keen to have a go at this one, but the zip seems to be corrupted. Bugger.
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Try it now Fairline

Comment

I'm still getting a corrupted zip - it's happened before when I've DL'ed stuff from Apolyton upload accounts. Do you think I could trouble you to split the scenario into 2 zips which you could actually attach to a post?

Comment

They are not even but hope this works

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Dagnabbit! Still doesn't work I'm afraid

Tech / Gagli: did you have any trouble DL'ing this?

EDIT: Got the second zip OK. Strange
                        Last edited by fairline; September 12, 2004, 04:54.

Comment

I tried it to make sure and no problem

Comment

OK I got the whole thing by opening rather than downloading the zip. Wonder why it didn't DL properly - must be me

Comment

It's you.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                              X