PlayAviFile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayAviFile

I'm trying to save event space in El Aurens by using AVI files to display images and text (guess who got Jasc Animation Shop along with his PSP update). This would be for the following events: Nov 11 Armistice, Bulgarian Armistice, and the capture of Aqaba.
    • Is it a good idea from the player's perspective? These AVI's will be short.
    • Any tips or tutorials on how to do it?
    • Any special requirements for the Civ2 AVI player? ToT failed to read my first simple test, although it would read Tech's Red October Avi.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Sigh.... You're a glutton for punishment.

I love movies in scns. It just takes up a lot of time making them, AND so much memory. I've found you can remove 1 in 2 or even 3 in 4 frames and still get quality good enough for the little screen size in ToT. Still, you're looking at several MB for even a short movie.

I use a combination of Videowave commercial software and VirtualDub freeware, downloadable from here: http://www.virtualdub.org/index

It's been a while, Boco. So I'd have to go back into it all and I can't spare that much time right now. Does your avi have the same size and frame rate as the ones in ToT? I think that's where to start. I'll try to respond to questions if I can. Good luck.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Movies totally enhance the experience.

I used old WW2 tank battle and secret weapons footage in Dictator ToT...

I have some good ones put aside for the new Dictator ToT that will come out in a few decades.
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Codec. I remember something about codec. You must have the right one.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Okay from the Animation Shop help file...
          The most common reason you may encounter an error when attempting to open an AVI is that the file is encoded using a video compression codec that is not installed on your computer. Animation Shop 3, like most other programs that support AVI files, uses video compression codecs installed under Microsoft Windows to open and save AVIs. If you encounter an error when attempting to open an AVI file, ask the creator of the file for more information on how to obtain the necessary codec. © 2000, Steve Eiswirth, Jasc Software, Inc.
          When I saved Redsound.avi (the AVI used successfully in Red October) with Animation Shop, ToT wouldn't read it. Anyone know where to get the CODEC used by ToT?

Btw, I didn't realize copyright info gets automagically appended to clips from Jasc help files.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Dave, here are all the specs for a ToT friendly file:

File type: AVI compressed
            CODEC: Indeo video 5.10
            Frame size: 320X240
            Frame rate: 15:00 fps
            Colors: true color (24 bit)
            Audio format: Stereo 8-bit
            Audio Sample rate: 22.050 Hz
            Audio data rate: 44.10 kb/sec
            Total data rate: 44.10 kb/sec

Not all these may be critical, but I'm pretty sure type, codec, audio format and sample rate are. Frame size can vary, but given the size of these suckers, I wouldn't go much higher. I just finished an intro movie for OMG and it's 5.47 MB for 23 seconds!

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
              Anyone know where to get the CODEC used by ToT?
              You already have it. Without a codec, you wouldn't be able to see ToT's own videos in the first place.

You should really get VirtualDub. Open one of the existing ToT videos with it and see which codec it uses. Then convert your own video to that format.

But, um, am I right in thinking that you want to use videos as a sort of enhanced text event, rather than for actual movies? Are you sure the extra MB's will be worth it?
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Actually, your video editing program may not have the right codec. Mine didn't. You can download the IndeoVideo 5.10 (which is the one you need) here: http://www.moviecodec.com/

BTW, the video for events text idea is pretty good. It should save on events space, but will take more memory. You should experiment with frame rate. If ToT will play video with a very low fps, it may not take too much after all.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Sigh.... You're a glutton for punishment
                  Sigh, not this much! Seems the Indeo drivers are no longer free. Can't get Animation Shop or VideoDub to make ToT friendly AVI's. It's easier just to purge the events -- and I thought that was tough!
                  El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

How big are your AVI's Dave? If you can email them to me, I may be able to produce them for you.

Regardless, here is a freeware download of Indeo codec 5.11. I assume it'll work in place of 5.10.

Download Ligos Indeo Codec 5.11 : Ligos Indeo Codec is dedicated to developers who need to create media for 32-bit operating systems or programs
                    Last edited by techumseh; August 20, 2004, 21:37.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                    X