I need a witch doctor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a witch doctor!

Otherwise known as a hex editor (the person, not the program). I'm working with a soon-to-be-released scenario, in which the @GoldenAge pop-up message no longer pops up. It's supposed to when philosophy is given by events when the scenario is loaded. Phi is given, but I think the scn. file has the byte triggered which shuts off the message after the 1st civ has discovered it. I've tried the Delevents thing. Didn't work. Can anyone exorcise this demon for me?
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Well, I'm not entirely sure on the specifics, and I don't really have the time to do a lot of fiddling around, but I do think I know which byte(s) that information is stored in (I assume you're using ToT?). It should be set in the bytes at the following offsets:
    1st civ - 2944
    2nd civ - 6292
    3rd civ - 9640
    4th civ - 12988
    5th civ - 16336
    6th civ - 19684
    7th civ - 23032

One of the bits in those bytes are set to 1, I think... Those 7 bytes control things related to anarchy, revolutions, and the free advance for Philosphy, for each of the 7 civs.

I think you can safely set those 7 bytes to 0 to fix the problem (better make a backup though!)... Ahem, yaroslav should know more about this.

Or maybe it has to do with the entries for Philosophy in the technologies section:

Clear out (= set to 0) the "First to Discover" and "Discovered By" bytes for the philosophy technology, if they aren't 0 anymore.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I don't know about the function of that particular byte, Mercator, but I'm pretty sure your table's incorrect. It should read:

Civ 0 (barbarians) - 2944
      Civ 1 - 6292
      Civ 2 - 9640
      Civ 3 - 12988
      Civ 4 - 16336
      Civ 5 - 19684
      Civ 6 - 23032
      Civ 7 - 26380

@Techumseh:

I thought you'd disappeared. Anyway, are you sure that a GiveTechnology event will trigger this text box? As an experiment, try setting the research goal to Philosophy and the research progress to the maximum, so that it'll be discovered the following turn. What happens then?
      Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

I have some time this summer, so I thought I'd take on a project. I had this working fine. The events gave the protagonist the Philosophy tech when the scenario loaded. This resulted in the @GOLDENAGE text box popping up BEFORE the select civ, name, gender and difficulty level screens. Then, I decided the start turn had to be moved to a couple of turns later, and it stopped working. Anyone want to try an edit of the scn. file?

(edit): I have tried moving the start time back, no dice.
        Last edited by techumseh; August 3, 2004, 02:56.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Maybe an email to Catfish if this is still a problem?
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Re: I need a witch doctor!

Originally posted by techumseh
            Otherwise known as a hex editor (the person, not the program).
            I thought I could ask my question in this thread.
            I need a person to hex edit a thing for my next scenario, I want all the players to be allied to the barbarian, to get rid of the ZOC. I don't want the players to ignore each others ZOC though.

So if anyone do this for me, do this person have to help me again everythime I make a change to the save? And if you hex-edit a save and then save it as a scn-file, will the hex-edited thing (in this case all players allied to barbarians) stay in the scn-file?

Hope I made myself clear..
            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

@techumseh
              I can give it a try. Do you by any chance still have a copy of the file where the popup was working properly? It helps if one can compare an OK file with a faulty one to see what has changed.

I believe you have my e-mail address. Send me a zip.

Edit: Can you add an event that produces your own Golden Age popup at the right time . . . or do you need the real thing?
              Last edited by AGRICOLA; November 7, 2004, 15:03.
              Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
              Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Thanks anyway, Ag. I did find a fix. (It was for Operation Market-Garden)

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

@techumseh
                  Great. Making it nastier yet, eh?

@Arthedain

Originally posted by Arthedain
                  I want all the players to be allied to the barbarian, to get rid of the ZOC. I don't want the players to ignore each others ZOC though.
                  I have checked the hex editing book of wisdom (@Mercator ) and think that it is doable.

So if anyone do this for me, do this person have to help me again everythime I make a change to the save? And if you hex-edit a save and then save it as a scn-file, will the hex-edited thing (in this case all players allied to barbarians) stay in the scn-file?
                  The changes will be there if you save it as a .scn unless in working on the file you inadvertently change the political status between two civs.

Check your PM for my e-mail address.
                  Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                  Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Working...
                  X