• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll play. OnS, we need a save.

Comment

Coming soon.
      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

The story of Purple Rain, a peaceful sort who wished a lot. As he wandered, he acquired a horse in 3800 BC at (133,63); 50g in a hut (at 126, 52) in 3750 BC, 50 g in another hut (at 137, 71) in 3650 BC, and an archer (at 138, 54) in 3250 BC.

Tired of wandering, he settled two lands -- Delhi in 3150 BC and Bombay in 3100 BC.
        Attached Files

Comment

Let's see if we can save a pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yup -- lots of opportunity... (Kind of knew that given the "no free techs") only question is whether or not we get neighbors.

Comment

The second Purple Reign

Okay, I’ll take a shot at this. Whatta we got?

Indians. Two good size-1 cities, both building settlers. No techs. Lush lands and an isthmus to the south, and the appearance of lots of open land to the north. No other civs encountered yet. One NON archer and one NON horse exploring.
              Big world: about 100x50. Barbs have captured Athens.
              Enter.
              -2950 Our leadership thus far has been brilliant, just brilliant, I tell you. Let’s decorate the throne room.
              With our capital on the coast and lots of unexplored ocean, I judiciously send archers toward Delhi just in case of barb landing.
              -2900 alphabet (code of laws next)
              brilliant leadership, I tell you, and lovely plants behind the throne
              -2850 That new curtain behind the throne lends just the right touch, don’t you think?
              -2800 to -2650 clip clop, clip clop, clip clop
              -2600 Delhi size 2
              Village at 140,48 yields a barb horse -- thank goodness I chose not to open it last turn with my last movement point -- it appears on hills, but I manage to defeat it and gain vet status
              -2550 Bombay size 2, and I carelessly let it go into disorder
              -2500 Build settlers in Delhi -- send them south to occupy the isthmus chokepoint
              code of laws -- from bronzeworking, mapmaking, masonry, pottery, warrior code, and writing, I choose bronzeworking, for early trade and Colossus -- but shouldn’t ceremonial burial be an option here? I thought it was the fourth tech that wouldn’t have a monarchy path option, not the third
              Order restored in Bombay -- rushbuy settlers
              -2200 Suddenly I realize that, in a world this big, we’re likely to have this landmass to ourselves, so I don’t need to stake out the chokepoint -- but I do want to build a canal city there, anyway. The perfect specials placement would be at 134,66, but unfortunately, that’s not a canal spot. I choose the forest with access to the fish and build Canal Zone.
              -2100 Village at 146,50 yields archers
              -2000 Egyptian capital to Memphis
              Having used the settlers from Bombay to explore to the northwest, I haven’t found any outstanding city site, but I don’t want to walk back home, so I build Coal Country out at the tip of the land. Not a very good spot, kind of slow growth, but it seems important to get a city growing.
              A village at 152,50 could give us nomads or horsemen or cash, but I’m loathe at this point to risk an off-path tech, so I walk around it.

And that’s it. Seems to me like a slow start, but I rarely play big-world games, and I know that explains part of it. RCC would be appreciated.

I'd post a screenshot, but I don't know how. Anybody want to tell me?
              Last edited by debeest; August 19, 2004, 02:38.

Comment

And the save.
                Attached Files

Comment

debeest,

It has been a while, but, since no one else has chirpped-in, I'll offer what I think will get you a screenshot.

First, expand the game window to eliminate the right-hand data pods (unless these are important). Tap the "print Scrn" key; usually the left most key above the up/down arrow keys. Open Start --> Accessories --> "Paint", and tap Ctrl + V. (This should give you a working picture as a .bmp) Do a "Save As" and change the extention to .jpg which can now be attached.

Hopefully, that will work.

Monk
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

debeest,

Since the rules seem to indicate that "all haste" must drive the rush to Republic (with side trips only for Philosopy and Trade), then writing would have been the optimum choice. If I read the rules set correctly, Monarchy is to be avoided. Probably not peaceful enough.

As to the MIA status of Ceremonial Burial for the third tech, see Oedo's thread, Next Available Tech . The "2" group is skipped for the third choice, would be the short answer.

Monk

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
                      Since the rules seem to indicate that "all haste" must drive the rush to Republic (with side trips only for Philosopy and Trade), then writing would have been the optimum choice. If I read the rules set correctly, Monarchy is to be avoided. Probably not peaceful enough.
                      Aackk! You're right, of course. Shame on me for not reading the rules carefully enough. I guess I'll have to go smoke some dope, burn some incense, put on some psychedelic rock, and have free sex. Oh, boy! Punishment!

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
                        First, expand the game window to eliminate the right-hand data pods (unless these are important). Tap the "print Scrn" key; usually the left most key above the up/down arrow keys. Open Start --> Accessories --> "Paint", and tap Ctrl + V. (This should give you a working picture as a .bmp) Do a "Save As" and change the extention to .jpg which can now be attached.
                        Thanks, Monk!

Comment

... and I hope that Archer is a NONE ...

Stu
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Belated look at the save shows the Archer to be supported by Bombay.

A ruling seems to be in order.

Clearly the rules have been disregarded; but, it is the opening moves, and the map has already been revealed--at least to those who have looked it up. It could be disbanded belatedly, allowing play to continue.

If that is the decision, then along with a trip to the Sticky Mouse Institute, debeest should be required to post the rules after everyone's play for the next thousand years.

Monk

Comment

Need to disband the Archer ASAP. (Same applies for any other supported unit capable for combat.)

I'm not too concerned about achieving Republic/ Democracy at the cost of something stupid; however, I see no reason to handicap ourselves beyond a reasonable measure.

We'll want CB/Myst for Phil someday, but the kneejerk rush to Monarchy won't give us much of a gain over Despo compared to Republic over Despo -- ergo the "requirement".

Comment

Eeps.

Is there a smiley for hiding in my bedroom under my covers?

Comment

Working...
                                X