Flower Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flower Power

Peace, love and happiness. Many pleasant aromas. Not a care in the world…no wait there should not be any cares in the world once everyone gets to our state of Nirvana. And so we should strive to help others achieve this. But we’ll strive with the power of flowers. We will convince all nations to combine their efforts toward peace. Feed the hungry, and whenever you hear music, dance.

So that is our challenge. Convince others to make peace and keep peace. And we shall strive to do so without war.

How we’ll win this is up to the team;

Strategic Victory: Achieve a conquest win by not building nor supporting any offensive units. Thus, we’ll only conquer via the most powerful units, settlers (& engineers), camels (& trucks), diplomats (& spies), galleons, transports and occasionally explorers. Of course, help from volunteers (NONE units) will be accepted, and perhaps even sought out. If by some mistake a unit is temporarily persuaded to join us (bribed, but supported), said unit must disband by the end of the turn (so one can bribe a barb horse and slay the leader, but if the unit is supported, it must then be disbanded after the dirty deed.)

Similarly, we’ll maintain a spotless reputation throughout our entire adventure, and we’ll strive to a Republic/Democratic government with all haste (side trips for Philosophy and Trade are perfectly acceptable). Further we avow to not examine warlike behavior unless there is no other choice. In fact not only will we never build Sun Tsu’s War Academy, if we should come across it, we will destroy this menace to peace.

Tactical Victory: Sometimes people become so fanatical upon hearing great speeches that they will go forth inspired to do that which must be done. If any of the team cowers from the onus of the strategic victory, he may instead opt for a mere tactical victory by building a barracks in the city with Shakespeare’s Theatre; military units (of any type) may be built or supported by that city…and only that city.

Marginal Victory: Sometimes the weak, fearful and lazy cannot muster sufficient resources to fend off great evil. In those cases, should the team desire to merely eke out a marginal victory, they may do so by first building (or acquiring) J S Bach’s Cathedral, and only then constructing barracks in cities no larger (and never larger as long as they support any military unit) than size two. These slums can then build and support military units of any type.

So with a free for all format, are there stalwart folk who can peacefully bring about unity with peace, love, and flower power? Say twenty turns each for the early years, then drop down to ten (or eight) and five if the turns get too long. Since we’ll let everyone have a chance, we’ll begin as the gentle purple Indians (with no techs) and see if they are willing to embrace our soft color.

Giga, MGE, standard Poly rules (although aside for no re-homing of vans, I can’t think of any).

Bloodlust (and I forgot if restarts are on or not.)
    Attached Files
    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Being peaceloving people, you cannot allow a bribed Barb horse to "slay" its leader - it must "capture" him, after which he can be "ransomed" back. And in penance for such an "aggressive" action, the unit must "disband" to seek a solitary life of prayer and service.

All of which is fine, but how do you "convert" the capital city? Or am I misreading your intentions regarding NONE "volunteers"?

(might be nice to have "- a Free For All Succession Game" in the thread title to attract interest...)

Comment

Cool (and difficult) looking game.

So, no martial law in Despo - and no side trip to Monarchy? Ouch.

With no ships allowed until Galleons, I hope this isn't an island start.

Number me amongst the spectators, for now.

Peace and love, dude.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I can be tempted with a few turns. Will this be FFA or a normal succession game? How's about giving us 20 turns, a short log (written in a florid style ) and a screenie Old n Slow? I'll take on the next 20 some time, depending upon when you get the .sav up here.

When I read the title, I thought that this was going to be a game with no tile improvements (except maybe roads, so that the people from the cities can see the wondrous countryside) and with an emphasis on settlers converting unused squares to forest, so that the creatures of the wild would have somewhere to frolic. Maybe that's a game for the future though.

Comment

Ah but the first twenty turns may be the most challenging -- first question will be hut popping. Do we want to try for a few None units off the bat? Or skip the huts altogether?

I figure the tech path to be a rush to Republic vis a vis Monarchy; and the use of dips for extensive searching.

If no one picks this up by the W/E, I'll start.

Comment

You are frikken' nuts.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Count me in. I think NONE units are so important in this game that the chance of off techs must be taken. Even if a representantive government is delayed until , say, 750BC, the leg up towards other goals (Trade) shuld be helpful in the long run. NONE units will also possibly give us an early (and probably only) chance to gain tribute should any of our foes be on our continent.

The question is how long to roam before founding! If there is a coal mountain, mining it at the start might be an optimal plan.

Comment

Peace and love
                ... for a change
                Count me in
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

This looks petty crazy.

being a civ2 forum n00b, what does Giga MGE means?

Bloodlust really makes this annoying, and no city defenders looks scary. Not even monarchy for expansion/cheap settlers.....

But if people can win via OCC, I'm sure this isn't impossible, but I don't even play diety......

Comment

Giga = Gigamap (larger then the normal largest size map)

MGE = Multiplayer Gold Edition (the version after 2.42)
                    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Gigamaps are maps that are a lot bigger than the maplimit set in Civ 2. Basically, they are a result of the game being hacked/modded (whichever term you prefer) so that you can use bigger maps. These maps can be played on any version of Civ 2 MGE without any problems (other than the usual slow-down that you get with all games with lots of cities) as the city and unit limits cannot be changed, as far as we know, but you can't create gigamaps unless you have the mod in your version of Civ 2. As long as you've got MGE you're welcome to play this game though.

Comment

I went ahead and played twenty turns -- will post tonight or soon (with pic.) All is quiet and gentle so far.

Comment

I played a game once where I didn't settle until 2000BC. I had 20 NONEs by then. Of course, those archers and horsemen aren't worth much after knights and gunpowder…

May you be blessed with a spawn point near an opponent's cities.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I hope to find the time - to join in this in(s)anity - sounds as if it might be "interesting" - I assume there is no problem with combining barb harvesting with Ike's Shop???

Stu
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I'm back. I'm in.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X