Trouble with an Event file.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with an Event file.

Almost complete. Won't work. No idea why. Would appreciate assistance.

Here's the file;
    Attached Files
    Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Haven't analyzed it all, but just off the top I see:

Third command down: @then should be capped to read @THEN

Try that.

Comment

Spotted it too, but didn't think it mattered. On a previous try, it all worked anyway.

Tried it. I'll leave it in caps, but the problem still exists.

Keep trying. The resulting scenario will be worth it.

thnx
      Lost in America.

Comment

I think this:

@IF
        SCENARIOLOADED
        @THEN
        PLAYCDTRACK
        DONTPLAYWONDERS
        @ENDIF

Should read like this:

@IF
        SCENARIOLOADED
        @THEN
        PLAYCDTRACK
        @ENDIF

@IF
        SCENARIOLOADED
        @THEN
        DONTPLAYWONDERS
        @ENDIF

Comment

No that's what I started with, in terms of events, and it worked ok. It was the last 10 or 12 events that all went on at once that caused the problem.

I may have to start over and take them event-by-event to locate it.

argh
          Lost in America.

Comment

Have you tried loading the scenario with @DEBUG as the first event? This is often rather useful at telling you what's gone wrong.
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I'll try it Case.

This is why I hate to fight with Events files--it always does this.

ack.

Lost in America.

Comment

Ok . . .

I used the incredibly tedious, yet unerring method of re-doing the Events file, one event at a time, and checking after each new event to see if the new file worked. I did find one stupid mistake. Fixed. But then the next-to-last event in the old file, when cut-n-pasted into the new file, turned up the Eventsbug message.

Here is the event. For the life of me I can't figure out what is wrong with it. I will cut-n-paste it.

@IF
                CITYTAKEN
                CITY=Tyre
                ATTACKER=Italian
                DEFENDER=Anybody
                @THEN
                CREATEUNIT
                unit=Warship
                owner=Italian
                veteran=no
                homecity=none
                locations
                endlocations
                JUSTONCE
                @ENDIF

If anyone can spot the error, please let me know.

thnx.

(edit few minutes later; )

Ok this event screws it up too. These are the last 2 events, and both of them turn up the error message. So both of these events have some error in common. I'm trying the city names and unit names now. Have already tested the locations. Here is the other event;

@IF
                CITYTAKEN
                CITY=Tyre
                ATTACKER=Italian
                DEFENDER=Anybody
                @THEN
                CREATEUNIT
                unit=Trade Goods
                owner=Italian
                veteran=yes
                homecity=none
                locations
                endlocations
                JUSTONCE
                @ENDIF
                Last edited by Exile; July 12, 2004, 11:24.
                Lost in America.

Comment

Couldn't it be related to the size of the events file??

I know you're much more "senior" than I am in scenario creation, but it might be worth doing a quick try:

1) remove half your events
                  2) add your 3 "buggy" events

If it's still doesn't work, I just made you loose 1 minute...

And if it works, then it's size related!

BTW: did you notice that the size of your file as you can check it in the explorer isn't really critical? from what I noticed, all the comments aren't taken into account (if I'm not mistaken...)
                  Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                  Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                  POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                  LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Didn't you simply run out of event space?

Edit: ever so slow...

Oh, but Cyrion, it's not the size of the events text file that matters, it's the size the events take up in the civ2 memory.

And to be more precise, that is 298 bytes for each event, plus the length+1 of every single text value (e.g. civ names, city names, unit names etc., but not the numerical values, nor the veteran flag) entered in the events file. Each line in a TEXT event counts separately, so it takes up (#characters + #lines).

Well, that's the case for FW (and CiC and MGE too, I think), but ToT is slightly different.
                    Last edited by Mercator; July 12, 2004, 12:32.
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

No, it was that I forgot to write "Italians" instead of "Italian."

Now I've got another problem.

Mercator?

I need some real help here. What does it mean when I try to load a scenario and an illegal operation error? It happened just after I altered some things in the Tribe Editor, mostly just the "perfectionist, rational,etc." stuff. When I tried to run CivCity with it, I got back the error message, "error 62 ocurred. Routine Name=GetRules"

Any ideas?

thx
                      Lost in America.

Comment

Ye gods!

I discovered the origin of this new problem. The editor had mysteriously chopped off the bottom eigth of the rules file for no apparent reason. BAAAAAAAD editor! Nooooottttty editor!

I will now spank.

Patched the bottom half from a normal rules file in place and everything's back to normal.
                        Lost in America.

Comment

That's an old lesson: avoid the in-game editors
                          "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

It's that tribe editor. Kids, stay clear away from that thing! It'll eat a big bite out of your scen and you won't be able to fix it.

I patched my corrupted rules file together just long enough to write the necessary info and transfer it to a new rules file. Now it all works ok again, but that's too much effort because of a bug-laden tribe editor.

the advancement, unit, terrain, and improvement editors work just fine.

I've got the thing to the first testing stage now. I'll run it using all the sides for awhile to see that everything is how I want it. The final result will be a new scenario called AGE of the CRUSADES. It's unlike most scenarios. It should more accurately mimic the medieval world. There won't be very many military units running around. Most of them don't move. What will be taking place is trade and improvement, and very possibly some building new cities. Tech & trade will be very important. The playable civs are: Germans, Spanish, Franks, and Italians. The Byzantines, Fatamids, and Turks are also player civs, but each very different. All I'm doing now is testing the numbers during play to see that the units interact the right way.
                            Lost in America.

Comment

Sounds very cool. I had a go at a similar scenario a few years back, when I persuaded Harlan Thompson to let me have a go at finishing his Vikings v2.0/Dark Ages scenario.

...that project ground to a halt largely as a result of my [then] near total ignorance of the time period Doing a scenario coving the European Dark ages during an Australian summer was also not a good idea.
                              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                              X