Bigger Events File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Events File

Is there any way to get a larger events text file than allowed by the game's actual editor? I feel I may need a bigger one for my upcoming scenario (which is previewed in terms of ideas under the recent thread deceptively named 'Way to Work Trigger Needed.' Can anyone help me?

I don't think so. I'm still not entirely sure yet, because I've yet to crack all of the events code in the savegame. But if the space reserved for it in memory is fixed, there's little anyone can do. In any case, don't count on it. You'll have to use multiple events files.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

How do multiple event files work? You mean with your CivSwap utility, or is there something I don't know?

Comment

ToT gives a healthy size of events file!
        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would suggest that you carefully study Captain Nemo's RED FRONT or his SECOND FRONT for the way to handle multiple events, rules, units, terrains etc. Both scenarios are great examples of the artistry of a truly gifted scenario designer.
          Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
          Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by Patine
            How do multiple event files work? You mean with your CivSwap utility, or is there something I don't know?
            Yes, for instance, but it all comes down to batch files (CivSwap makes it a little easier on the player, but it still needs a batch file).

If you have multiple files you need to have them swapped during the scenario whenever appropriate. For events you also need to use "delevent" to remove the existing events from the savegame. If your scenario has "global" events (e.g. prohibiting negotiation or random events that should occur throughout the entire scenario) you should put them in all your events files.

Have a look at scenarios that do this, as Agricola suggests. The CivSwap readme may help too, but it could just as well make it look even more complicated if you don't know your way around batch files yet.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

What do you put in a "delevent" file, and what's the base format? Every time I double-click on one, a DOS-shell window flashes by too fast to read (I think that's part of the magic of Windows XP).

Comment

Well in Windoze exploder you can drag a save game file over to the Delevent.exe file, and the .exe will automatically clear any embedded events.

Basically it's a command line, e.g:

Delevent jc4000bc.sav
                "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

That's simple enough (though I've yet to try it). Now, one more question: how does a batch file work (I haven't yet tried much of this advanced stuff).

Comment

Working...
                  X