Coming soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon...

After more than a year's wait, I am about to begin construction on a new historical scenario for Civ2...

(title picture is temporary-as is, most likely, the title itself)

Construction will begin in about two to four weeks time (after my final exams).

Please post your expectation about and suggestions for this scenario here. As voted for, this scenario will deal with the Fall of Rome. I have a lot of ideas about the basic concept of this scenario, but won't post them just yet.

Until then... up the irons!
    Last edited by Stefan Härtel; April 30, 2004, 11:27.
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Does anybody see the picture? For some reason, I don't.
    Follow the masses!

Comment

No, I can't see it either Stefan.
      STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Now it's there
        Follow the masses!

Comment

Re: Coming soon...

Now that's something I'm looking forward to, Hallowed be Thy Name, Stefan!

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
          Please post your expectation about and suggestions for this scenario here. As voted for, this scenario will deal with the Fall of Rome. I have a lot of ideas about the basic concept of this scenario, but won't post them just yet.

Until then... up the irons!
          Well, you asked for it... I expect this scen to keep his title, and above all with the same font!

For more constructive remarks, you'll have to wait, sorry...

But I would really like to stop Attila with Aetius on the "Champs Catalauniques" (no idea how to call it in english, and too lazy to look for the latin version...).

I imagine something heavily event driven, with hordes from different tribes appearing suddenly on the border and razing the country...

Of course, to make the best use of events, you would then need to make it playable only from 1 side! I would then prefer Rome, and then you could try to bribe the different tribes, whose loyalty would last for only a short time (a thing the AI is really good at)

I'll think about it some more and come back when I've had a few more Revelations (which might be after a few beers, usually around 23h58...)!
          Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
          Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
          POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
          LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Now that's a lot of puns

I'll think about it some more and come back when I've had a few more Revelations (which might be after a few beers, usually around 23h58...)!

I'll see after that at that time... after the equal amount of beers
            Follow the masses!

Comment

Hi guys

@Cyrion:
              I'd like to face Attila at Campi Catalaunici (Catalaunic Fields? ) too, but...

@StefanH:
              What 'fall of Rome' you'll develop?
              AD 410, 455 or 476 ?
              Or all of the three???
              Many protagonist peoples were the same, but many changed (and so the chiefs); I think it will depend on which perspective (chronological but geographical too) you're thinking about.
              There are a lot of chances, even cutting off some minor (or that you'll consider minor) people.
              MarkLaanen's work is a classic, but (as quite everything ) perfectible (almost in the graphics), and I'm sure you're thinking to anything very original, as the civers (like me) are used to expect from you
              BTW: between my (uncountable) scenario project (which never saw the light ) there were a lot of ideas about the period of the end of Roman Empire.
              I'll be happy to see something 'touchable' on that period....

Good Luck for exams (meanwhile)
              "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

Catalaunian Fields
                Lost in America.
                "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

@Stefan Härtel:

A fall of Rome scenario - Good to see you are going Where Eagles Dare!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                  http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

@curt:
                    Hey, that's a good idea, I'll reveal another (uff!) of the uncountable (and not-done ) projects of mine... inspired by the movie "Where Eagles Dare"... An alternative scenario, don't you think?
                    Well, I'll give you this idea 'gratis' (free)

@exile: thanks for the 'Fields'.

@stefan: who'll catch the "Urbs Aeterna"???
                    Alaric? Genseric (Gaiseric)? Attila? Odvokar?
                    "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

What I expect this scen to be

1) Very difficult
                      2) With lots of problems, and in fact, a sense of "decadence". Decadence is very difficult to simulate in civ, but I'd suggest you to put a lot of palaces in many cities and put them very expensive to mantain. Also, make no palace buildable. This will take a lot of money from player's hand making buildings being sold from time to time, so the cities will get worse with turns cumulating... That can be very interesting and make a feel of decadence.
                      3) I know I'm too pedantic, but I'd like many remarks in the scen about how Western Empire fell but not the Eastern Empire (Byzantium)
                      4) Maybe you could separate the Empire in two parts? Make the Easter Empire a cold ally than doesn't go in war against you but doesn't help you either.

Well, these are my firsts ideas. You now where you can locate me for testing
                      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Civ choices are always hard:

I agree a western and Eastern Empire. And you need Huns. You also need the Persians of at the East really. That leaves 3 civs. Ostrogoths and Visigoths works then. Then there are also perhaps General germanic tribes.... would the barbs be the Vandals?
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'd not put palaces everywhere, because the locals often supported the Barbarians if the Barbarians would help them (pay them).
                          Vote Democrat
                          Support Democracy

Comment

Originally posted by Exile
                            Catalaunian Fields
                            Short post, but precise answer! Thanks Exile
                            Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                            Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                            POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                            LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

The Ides of March (pun intended)

I'll tell you what I have in mind.

A couple of years ago, I wanted to make a scenario about the decay of Rome triggered by the civil war after Commodus' death.
                              I'm beyond that now, and I thought of something else.

First of all, let me state that the Fall of Rome is an incredibly complex thing. Quite a few scenarios have been made about it, and the classic setting is as follows:
                              Two Roman civs (East and West Rome) are struggling for survival against a number of other tribes, the tribes always varying, but usually being something like Goths-Vandals-Franks-Persians-Huns. It's very much about empire-building or empire-keeping.
                              This model is always a bit flawed, because you'll have to regard many things and disregard many things to keep the scenario playable. I have therefore decided that it's not possible to depict the Fall of Rome in it's entirety.
                              I have decided to do it from the perspective of the Huns. Why the Huns? Because they will make the most interesting game, I think.
                              The basic concept will be something like this:
                              The Hun player (only the Hun civ will be playable) starts out with a number of medicore and strong units nothing more. Like the historical Huns, he will have to set up a base by conquest. Modern-day Hungary would, of course, be the best choice.
                              Maybe he will have a few buildable units, but they should not be strong (siege engines and slaves would be the most realistic thing).
                              He then has free choiceas of what to attack next: Go straight to Rome, attack the provinces, as in reality, or try and attack East Rome (which will be very difficult).
                              Everything will be in the scenario: Merciless plundering and destruction of the cities in Gaul, the negotiations with the Pope (optional, though), Attila killing his brother Bleda, the fall of the Burgundians and the origin of the legend of the Nibelungs...
                              The player will, of course, also be able to alter history by taking Rome or successfully attacking Constantinople.

The player is free to choose his difficulty level. If he does what the Huns did historically, the game will be rather easy at the start, but will become difficult later on.
                              If he decides to attack East Rome, the game will be very hard.
                              If he tries to conquer everything, the game will almost be impossible to win.

I hope nobody is disappointed with my decision of backing away from the 'traditional' Fall of Rome model.

Good Luck for exams (meanwhile)

Thanks-I'll need it!
                              Follow the masses!

Comment

Working...
                              X