Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacifist Challenge

mmmoh!

I borrowed my "Civ2UCC backup copy disc" to my neighbour (who happens to be a hippie pacifist) on the other day and he came up with this idea.

win the game with out building any military units. diplos, spy, caravans, settlers are ok. if you get military from huts you have to dispand them immediately. same goes if you bribe enemy units. my friend said he managed to win, not on the first try, but anyway.

so you ready to take up the challenge?
    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Sounds like a loose variation of the Early Landing concept. No units for martial law in the very beginning will be a happiness concern. Probably need to go early Republic.

Do you have a starting map for the "Challenge"??

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

My guess is you need an archipelago map - and play super isolationist - not my type of game I fear

Stu
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

You are probably, right. No crooks, no clads, no fun. But, you COULD try a conquest game using only dips and spies...

Monk
        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
          not my type of game I fear
          I don't know why, but I thought about you as soon as I saw the proposal, and my guess about your reaction wasn't too far from reality!
          Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
          Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
          POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
          LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

I've played "no war" challenges a few times, but never as strict as this. Building military units for defense only (or martial law), no attacking other civs or barbs (even if they are "comin' to git ya"), bribery permitted (but no sabotage or poison). This sounds a little more difficult, especially at start as Monk has predicted. Post a setup, and set a LONG deadline...

Comment

I posted a similar game over at Cfc some time ago (No boats.) Playing with no military units would be about the same -- writing becomes the second tech researched and then one goes to early republic vs. monarchy. Stay home on the small island (expand to fill it of course) & fly away.

In the no boats game I played, I posted a picture just before Apollo (I decided not to trade for maps to heighten the drama.)

It was a very quiet, peaceful undertaking.
              Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Yeah, guess we couldn't make Trireme or Caravel either - have to wait for Galleons...

Comment

no starting map or setting, use any map you find.

and yes, you can build tiremes and caravels, just don't use them for attack or defence.

good luck

Comment

So triremes can be used for ‘martial law’ purposes to some extent.

Settlers can be quite good defenders as they have twice as many hit points as most early military units, especially on rough terrain.

Cities can be built on hills (still a fairly decent 2 food & 1 shield) for defensive benefits and another good one is a forest square with a river running through it, although such squares are rather rare.

Comment

Originally posted by okosling
                      If they can be used for martial law, they are de facto being used for defense...

...another good one is a forest square with a river running through it, although such squares are rather rare.
                      Depends on your settings. Older, smaller worlds get more IIRC.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Lesson learned from our D+ succession games (elsewhere) -- militia not required.

City stays in disorder, but the food continues to fill the box; once at size 2, hire an elvis -- less food, but now other things can be enjoyed, such as an arrow or few & same with shields.

Although Republic looks attractive, the same above strategy can carry the day with Monarchy.

(Thus Triremes and Caravels should only be used for transport services.)

Strategic goals are to get writing and trade ASAP; Fill the rock ASAP; get to advanced governments... well as soon as practical.

Barbs land -- buy back & accept damage.

Winning by spaceship would be rather straight forward -- to win by conquest, one would need to overcome the challenge of emptying out the capital (maybe enough engineers dieing and a final enginner entering the now empty city would work -- but I haven't tried that, so I don't know.)
                        Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Doesn't the Republic fall if a city is in disorder for a few turns? I don't remember how that works. Seems like CerBur and Myst would be secondary goals after govmt and Trade, and Oracle could be of use too. A modified Early Landing strategy, rushing to Galleons for overseas trade. Kind of awkward, but doable.

Comment

Originally posted by okosling
                            no. they can be used for exploration and transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Old n Slow
                              Winning by spaceship would be rather straight forward -- to win by conquest, one would need to overcome the challenge of emptying out the capital (maybe enough engineers dieing and a final enginner entering the now empty city would work -- but I haven't tried that, so I don't know.)
                              I don't get this at all. Engineers are non-combat units so how could you make them die against an enemy capital?

Even if you set up the engineers outside the city in a mountain fortress, then that is no guarantee that you could tempt all of the enemy units out of the city, or that you could prevent them from healing themselves in a barracks after killing a few engineers. It would take forever to take just one city with this method.

Comment

Working...
                              X