Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capitalization?

Does this function work?

When I pick capitalization, usually I see no activity (nor any direct purchase price) for this. The amount of shields input remains empty, even through it lists the number of turns I'll need to wait for it (which never gets any better).

So, what the heck am I looking at? Is this a broken advance, or what? Now that Ive clobbered everyone, Id sure like some of my huge manifacturing centers to take a break and work on science.

Please advise.

Bluevoss-
    Bluevoss-

No, this is how it's supposed to happen. Capitalization turns your citiy's production into gold. So it's not something that needs to be built or ever finishes. So, if a city normally produces 50 shields, with Capitalization, that city would add 50 gold to your tax revenue, every turn.

In fact, you could probably use this to improve your science... With the extra gold coming in, you can probably set your tax rate lower, and, consequently, your science rate higher.

Another way to turn your production into science would be to build caravans and trade. You probably know already you get an instant gold bonus when you establish a trade route, but you also get an equal amount of science. Not to mention the increased trade "arrows" for the trade route.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Well, looks like you are right. I went back and ran an old year from my current game (it was right at the "end of year" return-key request). Wrote down the amount. Then I reloaded and switched all my major cities to capitalization, and ran the end of year, and saw 200 more gold come in.

Its strange (and must be a game mechanic) but the game shows a "number of turns" needed for capitalization, implying there is a conversion time to get it. However, no shields go into it and there is never any gain against it. I guess they just put some value in there (becuase they had to) and let you convert immediatly. Thats a little sloppy, since it looks like its not working at all (there should be a "1" for the number of turns needed to achive it, since it takes place next turn).

Well, I finished my last game last night and didn't do very well, since I had to keep building things I didn't want. My usual way of playing (when going for the spaceship) is to take some of my major production cities and turn them into cash cows, allowing me to divert more of this money into science (as you said). As it turned out, I really couldn't get the sceince boost I wanted, but I could destroy waves of rebels with cruise missles (and, in one notable case, a nuke, which was fun).

Thanks for the answer.

BV-
      Bluevoss-

Comment

The general rule is to build caravans rather than capitalization whereever possible. Capitilization just gives you cash - caravans give you one time cash, a trade route, and a science bonus as well.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
        X