Altering values in the txt files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altering values in the txt files

I like TOT and enjoy the whole bit of running my empire - however, on the upper levels, I am attacked so much its really not fun. However, on the lower levels, the whole city management thing is diluted - I don't need temples until I hit size 7 or 8.

Noticed last night that there are some txt files (don't have the names - I'm at work). One of them had something like...

Riot modifier 7
    Empire size for riots 14

It mentions that they are tied to chieftain level. I figure that these are base values, and that the higher the game level, the lower these are set (one expects a 2nd level game would be 6, then 5, etc).

This has great value for me - I like to play with minumum map sizes and maximum number of races (so as to get phalanxs fighting chariots). However, I don't want an over agressive AI. Im figuring that if I lower these values, I'll have more need for temples, collosiums, and cathedrals than I currently have.

Is this true? I don't have that much time to play this weekend but would like to know if I can modify these to make the game really work the way I'd like.

Thanks in advance-

Bluevoss-
    Bluevoss-

That would be the rules.txt... Make sure it's the one in the sub-directory of the game you're playing (but make a backup!), the one in the main ToT directory has no effect.

That file allows you to change many more things, by the way. It contains a whole bunch of statistics about the technology tree, city improvements, terrains and civs. All of them can be changed. Changing the rules.txt file is basically the first step in making a scenario.

And those two values are indeed base values, decreasing with each difficulty level.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
    X