Better maps for Civ2 TOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better maps for Civ2 TOT?

Been out of TOT for a long time, and have started poking about at it again.

Something that always bugged me - the stringy noodle maps. Is there some way to get better maps in this game? CTP2 had great maps - continents felt like continents. In TOT, sometimes I expect to see a lump of cheese with a searching mouse, the coninents are so confusing.

Any untilities out to make better ones?

Bluevoss-
    Bluevoss-

There certainly is...

It's the only civ2 random map generator I know, but it's great.

You'll also find out you can make maps more than 3 times larger! But you seem to prefer smaller maps...
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

MU,

Thanks for that link! I pulled it down and gave it a shot and had no problems. Started a couple of games to take a look at how it situated me and all, and it worked out fine. No more noodles!

Only problem is that it flashes a thumb of the map up that you've generated- I can overcome this by clicking on the mapgen dialog, which drops the thumbnail back and hides it. Looked around but did not see any other way to not have it show the thumb.

Great tool - this will really make the game into what I wanted!

Bluevoss-
      Bluevoss-

Comment

You can suppress the preview by setting the thumbnail size to 0.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I'll give that a shot - didn't even think of that. Was looking for some sort of on-off toggle...

Playing my first TOT game with a new map, and really am enjoying it. I'm just on a continent - not some sort of stringy nightmare where I don't know where it stops or ends. With a normal sized map and seven races (and given Mapgens method of putting in decent sized oceans), were having all sorts of fun ancient battles. Two races have already been extinguised (but not by me). Mapgen's really made the game good for me.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Bluevoss-
          Bluevoss-

Comment

If you are interested, I have some original TOT maps that I've made. They are mostly continents and realistic in terms of the placement of deserts, forests, and stuff.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

>>>"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth." -- Thomas Jefferson<<<

Not to go off topic, but what about "Charity"? No other religion seems to promote it like Christianity. And all governments that promote it do becuase of christian moraility that is part of their makeup.

Just questioning Tommy.

BV-
              Bluevoss-

Comment

Originally posted by Bluevoss
                >>>"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth." -- Thomas Jefferson<<<

Not to go off topic, but what about "Charity"? No other religion seems to promote it like Christianity. And all governments that promote it do becuase of christian moraility that is part of their makeup.

Just questioning Tommy.

BV-

I found this quote

"A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus"

Evidently TJ expressed his admiration for the ETHICS of the Gospels, but not for Christianity as a religion. Dont mind Sava, he likes to provoke. And please take any further religious discussion to the Off Topic Forum.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

No prob - I always take the underdog position - its what makes me a liberal democrat.

BV-
                  Bluevoss-

Comment

How do I make big huge maps?

Map editor won't cut it.

Don't forget that charity is also a tenet in Islam. My Indonesian friend donates 2.5% of her gross annual income to the poor every year.

I have no carrot.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

There are all sorts of ways to make gigamaps...

What map editor do you have? ToT doesn't come with one, so do you have the MGE one, or an earlier version's map editor?

Well, in any case, there's "my" adjusted Test of Time Map Editor. That's basically the MGE editor, except adjusted to work with ToT. It can create and edit gigamaps.

If you already have the MGE map editor, and don't mind using multiple utilities, you can use MapEdit (or even CivMapGen) to create a gigamap, and then open it up with the MGE map editor (it can edit them, but not create them).

If all you want is to play regular games on civ2-generated random gigamaps, you can get the ToT no-limits patch.

MapEdit and the ToT map editor are available here:

CivMapGen I linked to earlier, and the ToT no-limits patch should be in the Apolyton directory.

Comment

I've got great results with the CivMapGen but I've noticed that when I play them there are tons of huts, like every 5-10 spaces! Anyone experience this?

Comment

Um... That's always the case. They're part of a fixed pattern, so CivMapGen can't affect them in any way.

The only thing I can think of is that CivMapGen generates maps with larger, or more continuous, landmasses than you're used to. So you see more of them, simply because there's more land.

Comment

That does makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

I haven't had much success with that map gen. The maps it makes are really messed up.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X