black-clicking to find cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black-clicking to find cities

Probably many, or even most, of you already know this. But it occurred to me that I have never seen reference to it, so I thought I'd note a useful cheat for those who like them.

As most everyone knows, you can locate land masses by black-clicking in the "view" mode and looking at the continent number next to the graph coordinates.

When you black-click, the map centers itself on your click. But if you click on a city square, the map does not center itself. Thus, if you black-click all over the place, you can locate cities by noting which square you clicked on without the map jumping.

I suppose this could be quite handy in MP, where locating your enemy early is vitally useful.

If you are desparate to know where the other land masses are and where the other cities are, you can always go into cheat mode and reveal the map.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

There's no need to be rude. I acknowledged it as a cheat for those who like them. I don't use it myself, but plenty of people don't think it's cheating to use the tricks that the game allows.

Comment

On a similar note, I have never seen it noted that if you double click on portions of the map that you have revealed (land or water), it opens up the terrain description, unless there is a unit/city there (visible to you or not), in which case it won't tell the terrain description (but tells you there is a unit/city). Can be useful to tell you where that newly founded city of your enemy is, or where they are advancing their units.

/me likely pointing out what is obvious to everyone else

Edit: After posting this I realized I didn't want to look completely foolish so I went and checked Ming's list of cheats in the Great Library. This one is listed here, but only to find cities, and only on land. It can also be used to find units on both land and water. (but there is no way to know if it is a city or a unit that you have found).
        Last edited by Sparrowhawk; March 5, 2004, 10:38.
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

I never left-click on unknown area. I only right-click if I want to center map: the reason is that I don't launch the bug in error.
          Similarly I never double-click on an unknown area.
          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

"Launch the bug?"

Comment

It's a bug if you don't use it; oterwise, it is a feature.

It's just a game, let's remember. This "my gameplay is more pure than yours" sounds like a religious discussion. I think it is cool how much "we" have discovered about Civ. just enjoy!!

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Does the bug/feature only happen with left-clicking? I thought it happened with left or right.

Comment

Originally posted by debeest
                  There's no need to be rude. I acknowledged it as a cheat for those who like them. I don't use it myself, but plenty of people don't think it's cheating to use the tricks that the game allows.
                  My comment was intended to be robust rather than rude. If I offended you then I apologise.

My personal choice continues to be not using black clicking or hut finder or similar aids.

RJM at Sleeper's
                  Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I prefer 'nearest city' scouting.

Comment

debeest, I think right-clicking is OK. I only don't look at continent number if in the black area.
                      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

My comment was intended to be robust rather than rude. If I offended you then I apologise.

My personal choice continues to be not using black clicking or hut finder or similar aids.

RJM at Sleeper's
                        Apology cheerfully accepted. Friends again. It's always been my choice, too, but I recently decided to try it just to see what it's like. Seems like more hassle than it's worth, except for continent-finding, and I'll probably go back to my earlier ethics.

A

Comment

Our rules set allows black clicking.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And would you feel that the technique I noted would be equally kosher?

Comment

Well if you allow black clicking you have to allow that technique.

Comment

Working...
                              X