OCC without Colossus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC without Colossus

Yes, it's possible - I managed to win this.
    I had a good site with 4 specials (2 x wine, 1 Iron, 1 whale). Opening the "wrong" huts, I couldn't invent bronze working in time, so another civ built Colossus.
    I decided to take the HG. In Monarchy, it has a similar effect to trade as Colossus during "we love" days (+1 trade arrow). Then my research went the Republic-Democracy-way. I wanted to get Superhighways as fast as possible.
    I managed to win that game.
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Depending upon the starting terrain, then it wouldn't make a vast difference. If you can get early camels out, to cities with good trade then you can make a fortune just on the trade routes. A city with loads of rivers will also make a big difference, especially once they have roads built on them.

Well done for winning the OCC - the HG is excellent to celebrate the SSC, and if you can get Colossus too, then you need not worry about science for the rest of the game, as long as you can keep the celebrations going.

Comment

congrats.

But since someone won a size one artic OCC game, I doubt there are many handicaps that someone wouldn't be able to beat.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        congrats.

But since someone won a size one artic OCC game, I doubt there are many handicaps that someone wouldn't be able to beat.
        How about they tried OCC in one of Rah MP games with an arctic start?

Comment

I think you'd need the "Stealth City" tech for that one...

Comment

Stealth City

I HIGHLY doubt anybody could win an OCC game played in MP against competent opponents. Now granted, I thougt a few of the OCCs were not possible when originally discussed.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The required win would have to be by spaceship, with any AI civs Restarts On...

Comment

Would this be with all the human players playing OCC (and any other civs AI) or with one civ playing OCC with all other civs human and free to play the game normally?
                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

I think a "size one" OCC is only winnable if there are at least 2 or 3 other civs on your continent.
                  There are no silly questions - only silly answers
                  <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

And if you can start on a gold mountain by the sea....

Comment

An all-OCC MP game would be a race to Colossus, Copernicus, and Newtons. If they all started on the same continent there would have to be alliances for the RD/RR bonus, but whoever was doing worse would be tempted to cancel, and it would degenerate into "RoadWar". To have a decent chance, an OCC player in a non-OCC MP game would have to have those three Wonders "reserved" for him/her, maybe Shakes and/or KingRich as well. Of course, a key alliance could keep him/her out of trouble enough to get ahead while everyone else makes war. But I can't imagine too many MP games aim for Spaceship finish...

Comment

That might be an interesting game -- a four player OCC game with the stipulation that NOBODY gets to make ANY wonders.
                        Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

I would think it would be a much quicker MP game then most wouldn't it?
                          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

That depends upon whether you're playing at rah speed, or whether you need the time to think (slowly).

Comment

Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Working...
                              X