Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pb with percentage

Hi,

I got a pretty strange problem with the percentage computation.
    In 1924, I have a score of about 3200 points and therefore a percentage of about 320 % (emperor level). The year after, my score is still about 3200 pts, but the percentage becomes -320 % !!
    All the years after, my percentage remains negative, about this value.
    Nothing special happens during 1924. I re-played this year several times, even doing absolutely nothing ; and my percentage becomes negative systematically in 1925.
    Has anyone already underwent this problem ?
    What is it caused by ?

16 bit integer arithmetic has a range of values from -32K to +32K-1 - I guess you rolled over the top ...

Stu
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Sounds like it.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thanks for this clue.

How could this roll-over be avoided ?
        People got scores well over 32K, and it looks like they did not get this problem.

Comment

I'm not sure. Keep playing after 1925, and I'm sure that it will right itself soon enough. Celebrate your cities up, or research some FTs, and the percentage will rise with the score. Good luck!

Or alternatively, we could start a lowest percentage Hall of Shame.

Comment

What version are you playing - open the game options menu and it tells you on the 'title bar' of the menu...

Stu

Comment

My Civ2 version is basically 1.00

Well, I already tried to continue the game after 1924. In fact, I realized that my percentage was negative when I ended the game in 2018 with my spaceship arrival. My score was about 9500 pts, and my percentage about -315 % !
              So, I went back in history thanks to my savings, and realized that something went wrong in 1924.

I remember also that, in the HoF of another website dedicated to Civ, someone had an excellent score and a negative percentage (at Deity level).
              So it looks like I am not the only one :-)

Comment

Aha!!!
                There were many bugs in the early releases of Civ2 - most of us have CDs with versions varying from 1.03 to 1.08 (my own) up to 1.4 or so --- the latest release is 2.42 which fixes many many bugs including iirc the one of which you have fallen foul.
                You can get the upgrade - genuine MicroProse release from the Directory at this site - go to the Civ2 home page and click on Directory ...

Stu

Comment

Yep. You need the 2.42 patch. I looked for it at the Directory (called Dir) page, per Stu's suggestion, but couldn't find it. If you need another source for patches, etc, check out this link...

scroll down to the Patches section and you will find what you need.

Monk
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Oh ye of little faith ...

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                      Oh ye of little faith ...

Stu
                      Presumedly, this is unzipped directly to the Civ2 directory.

Me, little faith!! Well, not usually, anyway.

I could not find, and even with your link, can not find that file by going to the Civ2 home page. Color me lost.

Monk

Comment

Civ2 home page -> Database -> Special -> Item 4 of 6 IIRC
                        The link above is a cleaned up version - the 'Polly link has some advertising cr*p attached

Stu

Comment

Thanks, Stu, I found it at Mother Poly. Why the 2.42 patch is so well hidden rather than as an outfront flashing notice is beyond me. BTW, I think it is okay to say crap. Ming does anyhow.

Monk

Comment

I know 2.42 is the highest patch for v1.0, but isn't there somewhere he can download 2.78? Better than 2.42; you just can't use any saved games<2.78.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Theben
                              2.78 is Fantastic Worlds which, true has many scenarios available to it, but at least in every incarnation I have had running is horribly bug ridden.
                              My recommendation would be to have 2.42 loaded for vanilla SP, Succession & Comparison games - and have a second installation of MPGE for all your scenario, MP and Succession & Comparison game needs -- I include Succession & Comparison in both groups because they are normally set up for one of these two variants

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X